Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
SmartSDR v3.1.12 and the SmartSDR v3.1.12 Release Notes. | SmartSDR v2.6.2 and the SmartSDR v2.6.2 Release Notes.
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes. | Power Genius XL Firmware v3.4.16. | Power Genius XL Utility v2.2.10.
Enclosing the Pixel Loop Antenna (aka: DX Engineering RF-PRO-1B Active Magnetic Loop Antenna)
With several other FlexRadio users using active magnetic loop antennas, I wanted to ask the group for thoughts on covering/housing such an antenna (3ish feet in diameter) on a rotator. Envision this enclosure atop a building, on a short mast, or even sitting within a few feet of the ground.
A radar unit radome-type of enclosure is just one example. A wooden box (no metal at all) is another idea.
Knowing that metal close to my loop has had a significant impact on performance, I brainstormed non-metallic housings that are “rf-transparent”. (I realize that precipitation on the outside of the housing would also have an impact, but I can envision no way to stop the rain from sticking—except maybe spinning at high speed, but I digress). After dropping the inflatable “balloon” housing idea <grin>, I pretty much was left with ideas involving wood and/or fiberglass. Design-wise, I’m sure it could be conceived if needed to blend in better than the bulbous white sphere that “radome” brings to mind.
Questions for the group:
1. Has anyone built or otherwise obtained an enclosure for their active magnetic loop on a rotator (other than inside an attic: too much metal around for me)?
2. What are your thoughts/suggestions on “rf-transparent” materials for an enclosure? (e.g. at HF, is wood really rf-transparent? Other materials?)
The experience and imagination of the group is valuable.
Thank you for the time of your consideration and any reply!
Leave a Comment
- 69 Community Topics
- 1.9K New Ideas
- 120 The Flea Market
- 5.4K Software
- 4.9K SmartSDR for Windows
- 35 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 87 SmartSDR for Mac
- 143 SmartSDR for iOS
- 149 SmartSDR CAT
- 69 DAX
- 279 SmartSDR API
- 7.1K Radios and Accessories
- 5.8K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 557 Maestro
- 14 FlexControl
- 723 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 150 Power Genius Products
- 117 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 11 Power Genius Utility
- 22 Tuner Genius
- 41 Shack Infrastructure
- 22 Networking
- 89 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 50 Contesting
- 127 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 62 Amateur Radio Interests
- 405 Third-Party Software