Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Thank you SSDR 2.0!

W9TVX
W9TVX Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I purchased SSDR 2.0 with no intention of using SmartLink for remote communications - mostly because I enjoy spending time in the solitude of my shed :-)

However, curiosity got the best of me, and I went down the rabbit hole of fully automating my station. I did end up playing a little with SmartLink via my iPad, and concluded that it would be more interesting for me if digi modes were available. However, in the process of building remote operations support,  I gained some real benefits from some of the newly automated features of my station:
  • I installed GlobalCache iTach IP2CC-P IP to contact closure to remotely power-up my 6700. Now I can power-up the radio with my smartphone from inside the house while I make my cuppa, and have it all booted up by the time I sit down to operate. Ah the simple conveniences in life!
  • I installed an ERC v4 Rotor control into my G-450A and purchased PstRotator, so now I can rotate my antenna directly from Log4OM based on the contact with whom I am QSOing. No need to press and hold down the buttons or look up the Az of the contact. 
So while I may not be a remote operator, I have gained some real benefit from SmartLink. 

P.S. I think a webcam would be a great addition for remote operations to be able to visually check that everything is operating as it should 

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That is awesome!

I once thought about the webcam 11 years ago to read the display on the TS480 when I started my remote base, but, then I decided I would have to trust my instruments.  I never looked back (no pun intended).  :)

PSTRotator works very well for me and in fact manages all my antenna switching too.  Did you set up PSTRotator to talk to your 6700?  

Just tell PSTRotator the IP address of the radio.

73, Mike 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Almost the same installation here. Very happily operating remotely. Congrats!
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes I did connect it to the radio. I use it to control my SteppIR. It really is a flexible program!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You can also have the radio control the Steppir directly as well.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I use both rx inputs on my 6700 for vhf and uhf full duplex sat work and i also use the rx loop on the 6700 with a broadcast filter which complete eliminates local AM broadcast stations. I have a kmtronics web 8 relay device that connects to the network and it is accessible through PstRotatorAz. Not only can i turn on and off the 6700 but I also turn on the power supply to the 2m amp and 70cm transverter and disconnect the rx loop. Cool thing with the PstRotatorAz program is that it reads the frequency on the 6700 and does all this switching on and off based on the frequency of the radio. So if I move to 145 MHz the power supply gets turned on and the RX A reeouted to the rx of the 2m amp with a small rx only coaxial relay switch. I have PstRotatorAz connected to a local weather station and based on wind speed and direction it will park my antennas facing the wind. I agree with OP, it is fun to automate things in the station, and pstrotator is an important part.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The issue with cameras is that one camera is not enough. I use several cameras. One on the beam so I can see the antennas. One at the tower so I can check it going up and down A few in the Shack to check Amps and non remtoted Meters One viewing the rigs in case I need t o remotely instruct someone to push buttons or plug things in.
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    That sounds like quite an impressive setup you have there Howard!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.