Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interfacing Ameritron RCS-4 with SainSmart 8 USB Relay Board

Terry Ashland
Terry Ashland Member ✭✭
I have just purchased a SainSmart 8 USB relay board and have it working wonderfully with SSDR 1.10.16.  However, I would like a little help with the hard wiring part to my Ameritron RCS-4 control box.  Does anybody have some simple instructions to help me connect my relay board to the RCS-4 controller? 
Thanks and 73,
Terry, W0ZS

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is simple to connect, how ever if your asking if it will work using the FLEX USB control panel your on your own.

Simply the RCS-4 has a 4 position switch, a 12VAC transformer so you will need 3 of the relay contacts with the AC transformer tied commonly to the three relays.
    It requires 12 Volt AC to one relay, another relay requires +12V DC, and the 3rd Relay requires -12DC, and the 4th position is ALL voltage off so the easiest way is to connect into the RCS-4 control box then the output of each SainSmart8 relay will connect inside the RCS-4 control box to the appropriate points. 

Hope this helps, I run mine from a Control by WEB 4 Relay controller. 
    OH VERY important make sure you only have ONE relay on at a time, this is why I use the "Control by WEB" box as it uses Scripts and I built a script so only one relay can be on at a time.
    AND don't have your Control Box switched to anything but the OFF position when using it remotely. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Terry Ashland
    Terry Ashland Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Chris, I have looked at both of the links you have provided me.  Bret, you are close to what I need.  However, I am looking for a simple schematic of where I connect outgoing wires of the relays on the usb board to the  rcs4 controller. 
  • Terry Ashland
    Terry Ashland Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Whoops.  Here is the schematic for the Control box.  image
  • Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Terry.

Did you get this working?  I also would like to try this and was curious how you wound up connecting it.

Thank you - Hunter K3IE 
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So Bret is 100% correct as i have an RCS-4. I can't speak to the SainSmart or Flex interconnect but you will replace the control box using the Sainsmart to send 0V, +12V (rectified AC), -12DC 9V (rectified AC) or 12V AC injected into the coax much like the control boc does. In effect, you replace the rotary switch with relays. You'll also have to figure out how to deal with the LEDs if you want visual indication as the control box has a 2 pole rotary switch, one for control and one for LEDs.
  • Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Ronald - we will give it a go.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.