Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR 2.x & WSJT-X

KT0AM  - Mark
KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
The SSDR 2.x remote access option works very well but I haven't yet figured out the parameter set that allows WSJT-X to connect properly. Anybody figured this one out yet?

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Since DAX does not work over SmartLink YET, the only way to run WSJT-X is via Remote Desktop or VPN
  • Peter, VE3LTI
    Peter, VE3LTI Member
    edited May 2019
    I've been successfully using WSJT-X using the audio transport through SmartLink. You should set up two virtual cables, say Line and Line 2 Make Line 1 the default playback device and Line 2 the default record device in the Windows sound manager. Point the Line 1 output at your PC's speakers (to hear WSJT-X audio) the  and Line 2 at null.

Go into WSJT-X and set up Line 1 and Line 2 as your soundcard devices and you should be all set. Watch your overall round trip delays/latencies since for these synchronous modes, decoding can be a problem. My last few FT8 QSOs were from my cottage that had WLAN/WWAN (Motorola Canopy) delays which added to the fun.

73, VE3LTI
  • KT0AM  - Mark
    KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the replies. While awaiting a networked DAX, I'll try what Peter suggest but need just a bit more information. Peter, can you provide just a bit more data on the creation of the virtual cables? I assume that his is a Windows activity but not sure how to get started. 
  • Peter, VE3LTI
    Peter, VE3LTI Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi Mark.

I use VAC from http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm which provides the capability of creating audio pipes for internal Windows applications. Just go to Eugene's site and download and register the VAC kit (cost is about $30 depending on support options).  Once installed, start the VAC Control panel and create two cables. Then use the Audio Repeater (MME) tools to tailor each cable In/Out as described in my earlier note.

SSDR/SmartLink transports audio for remote RX/TX (when selecting PC rather than MIC, DAX, etc in SSDR) and assumes the host PC's default sound devices will be used but to use digital modes you need to tell the remote PC's sound manager that you'll be using the virtual audio cables as the default devices as described in my earlier note. Doing so will bypass the PC speakers and mic  so that is why the default playback virtual audio cable must be piped to the speakers so that you can hear the FT/JTx tones from your remote Flex6xxx radio.

This all sounds very complicated but in reality it is straightforward. There is a useful tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do60YlsRK7c&t=227s that goes a long way to describe VAC and its use albeit for a different use case than ours.

Another way of achieving the same solution is to install a second sound card and use physical cables to take the line out from the default soundcard to the line in of the other soundcard and the line out of the other soundcard to the line in of the default soundcard. WSJT-X is then configured to use the other souncard for i/o. This will work but has more ADC/DAC transitions (with associated latency/distortion) than using virtual devices.

When DAX is available the above becomes unnecessary but in the meantime I find I can remotely use WSJT-X, FLDIGI etc for digital modes. The only caveat is that the WAN connection may result in dropouts and latency which can make decoding digital modes a bit hit or miss. Even when DAX is available we will see the same issue where the remote and home network quality will determine decoding success.

I hope that this helps.

73, VE3LTI
  • KT0AM  - Mark
    KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    That's just what I was looking for, Peter, thanks for the detail. I've purchased VAC kit and will let you know how the setup proceeds... cheers!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Other methods include using a remote desktop program (VNC, Teamviewer) to run the digital program on a computer in the shack while running SmartSDR on the remote.  Also, using a VPN instead of Smartlink for the remote connection.  Just mentioning them so you can weigh the pros and cons of each solution.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    "YET" implies that the feature is promised.  It is not.  We are evaluating the feasibility of adding it to SmartLink.
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Peter, audio aside for the moment... how did you configure the "radio" section of WSJT?  I can make WSJT work fine locally on my home LAN but going remote I can not find any configuration within "radio" dialog to even talk to the Flex.  Googling nor searching the forum has helped.    Thanks,   Bob, K6MBY
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Bob 

The way I do The Radio Setup with the current release of WSJT-X is mostly undocumented anywhere except in postings here in the community.

In SmartCat I setup both VSP CAT and TCP CAT ports for each slice.

I setup per slice VSP CAT ports which initially started on port 6 using the first available VSP port. so I ended up with VSP CAT ports 6,7,8, and 9.

The TCP CAT port that SmartCAT initially defaulted to, was port 60000.

To avoid later confusion, I changed the defaulted TCP CAT ports for each Slice to 60006, 60007, 60008, and 60009 in an effort to better remember which port is connected to which slice.

The Port choices are mostly up to you.

In WSJT-X, I selected FlexRadio 6XXX, for the rig type. 

In the Network Server box, I entered 127.0.0.1:60006 ... to connect to a different slice I use that slices TCP CAT port number instead.

I then selected CAT for the PTT Method.

I selected None for both Mode and Split Operation.

When it's setup correctly pressing the Test CAT button will turn it green and pressing the Test PTT button will turn it red, and will trigger PTT in your radio.

With SmartCAT setup for both types of ports, you also have the choice of using Kenwood TS-2000 and one of the VSP CAT ports.

The TCP CAT setup works seamlessly for me, with WSJT-X.

73 Jay / NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Bob

Also.
    I haven't set up remote audio using VAC, and "something" to Port Forward and stream the audio channels over the internet, but I'm hoping I can Port Forward the TCP CAT ports through my router to enable WSJT-X rig control remotely when I figure out what audio streaming "something" works best.

73 Jay / NO5J
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Jay, going to give this a try today.   Bob  k6mby
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Jay, Not working for me.  Created a TCP port in SDRCat.  Port forwarded port to Flex.  The "radio ready" indication within the SDRCat dialog never comes on.  I am assuming it should and no point starting WSJT until I get a "ready".  Bob K6MBY
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Bob

That something I've never seen.

By "radio ready" did you mean "Radio Not Connected" in the upper right corner of the SmartCAT window? I assume you had the radio booted up. With the radio powered up and connected to the LAN, it should read "Radio Connected".

Also I'm curious about "Port forwarded port to Flex" statement. Why was that needed? Is there a LAN side router firewall between your PC and your rig? Your router firewall filters the network traffic on the WAN side of the router, A port forward in your routers firewall shouldn't be necessary for a TCP CAT port unless your trying to set this up for remote operation.

If this setup only works for me, I'll definitely stop recommending it as an option. I've seen others claim it works in the past. So I'd like to get it working for you too.

73 Jay / NO5J 

• K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Jay,
    Yes, I thought we were talking about remote operation.  Maybe I misunderstood the original question.  Bob K6MBY
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Bob

This thread was actually about Remote operation. No, your original post in thIs thread was misunderstood by me. I thought it should be possible to do the Radio Control setup for WSJT-X both locally, and remotely using TCP CAT, that probably just needs more thought by me. I still feel, but don't actually know that that's possible. I can't really test remote operation to my own rig, I'm not personally remote-able, with regard's to my own rig.

Would you still be open to discovering a method of achieving WAN side radio control from a remote WSJT-X installation. If so I'll do some more thinking about why it's not working through your port forwarded setup.

The TCP CAT setup will work fine when both the radio, and WSJT-X are on the LAN side.

It might be better to move this discussion to a new thread, I had no intention of hijacking or redirecting this thread.

The misunderstanding was mine, not yours.

My apologies to all the thread participants. image

73 Jay / NO5J

• K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Started a new topic Jay..   Bob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.