Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink Installation on a Remote Maestro?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro

Have brought a Maestro to demo, and just completed the SmartSDR v2.0.17 update and did a reboot.

But no Login button for SmartLink is exposed, and of course the radio is back at the shack (all fully updated to v2.0.17 and also already SmartLink registered).

To use a Maestro with v2 for the first time do I need to have the radio on the same WAN?

Or is their a work around.  (I have one in mind, as I left my Raspberry Pi VPN up, but wanted to see if there was another way for when I help other hams in this situation).

Thank you,

Steve K9ZW

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Steve,

If the radio is registered for SmartLink with your account then you only need to tap the login on the Maestro bottom right of the screen when on the radio selection page. Log into your SmartLink account and you should see the remote radio.

Dave wo2x
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Steve, 

The Maestro and Radio do not need to be on the same network. It sounds like the router ports at your QTH did not get configured correctly or the remote WAN you're using has blocked ports. Do you have a laptop or iPhone/iPad that you can test with? Or can you stop by a Starbucks or McDonald's and try it there? Of course, I'm sure you tried rebooting the Maestro. You should see a login if you're running 2.0.17.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Here is the circle I seem caught in:

Then:

Then:

My guess is that this could be duplicated with a **** Maestro as it may be that v2.0.17 doesn't load enough of a bootstrap to expose the extra options.

Steve K9ZW

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2017
    Steve Try a hard shutdown of the Maestro and reboot. Hold the power button and keep holding it past the Slide to shutdown screen. Keep holding it until all lights are off on the Maestro and then restart it. If that doesn't work try loading 1.10.16. Shutdown. Reboot and load 2.0.17 Dave wo2x
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Hi Dave

Hard reboot from the status quo (v2.0.17 w/o the SmartLink buttons exposed) didn't solve it.

Doing the downgrade to v1.10.16, hard reboot and reloading v2.0.17 also didn't expose the SmartLink buttons.

I think I know a work-around, as I could "see" my radio using the Raspberry Pi VPN, but will hold a bit.

BTW I can remotely run the radio from this network over SmartLink from an instance of SmartSDR for iOS.

Steve K9ZW 

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You should open a help desk ticket. 

Mack
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2017
    Yes open a Help Desk ticket at this point. I have not seen that behaviour. Dave wo2x
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Have entered one.

Thank you both for your help!

Steve K9ZW

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Quick workaround: at build SmartSDR v2.0.17.32 you may be unable to get the SmartLink buttons (login, setup) to show on a Maestro if you update that Maestro in isolation. Run the Maestro on the same LAN or via VPN with your licensed Flex-6000 SmartSDR updated radio once and the buttons are exposed. You then can take the Maestro out via SmartLink. There maybe a way to get a later build of SmartSDR for Maestro to cover this small problem, but best mention it lest you try the Maestro upgrade without direct non-SmartLink access to a v2.0 licensed radio. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    This is a chicken and egg issue as the 1.x firmware did not have some capabilities needed to do a radioless upgrade.  I have done multiple of these in 2.0 alpha testing.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @K9ZW  I have the same experience.  I have a "****" Maestro that I previously upgraded to 1.10.16 on my home LAN, but not further.

I just brought to my office and used the company LAN to upgrade to 2.0.17.  

I get the same, exact behavior as shown in your screen photos above wherein there is no SmartLink sign-in screen with which to inter credentials.  It just sits there, dumb as a rock.

I guess I'll take it home with me and mess with it on my home LAN to put it in the right frame of mind.

Sort of frustrating that it can't be initially made to work away from the local LAN the radios occupy.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Yes - what has happened is the Maestro lacks the firmware in v1.xx.xx to do the upgrade without a solid connection to a radio.

Once you take it home & put it on the same LAN as radio (or by WAN do a VPN to the radio server at home's LAN like I did) it will update A-Okay.

I think this might become some of the Maestro installation notes, as if I had know I wouldn't have wasted a HelpTicket on it with lots of emails.  Of course it will kind of disappear as the older v1.xx.xx firmware is reduced, and perhaps FRS will include the needed firmware components for v1.11 maintenance release to eliminate the problem altogether?

Steve K9ZW

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    I just went through this last night with my Maestro at work. Would not show SmartLink login until I brought it home and logged into the LAN with the 2.0 radio. I just got the purchase order this afternoon to upgrade the 6500 at work. A couple of days late.. Dave wo2x
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Wow finally found my issue.

Could not find anything on this, popped in key words for nearly 2 weeks now off and on.
    I opened a helpdesk ticket 2 says ago Friday afternoon.  No joy in the short term just before quitting time on Friday.

On babysitting duty, got a break (sleeping baby) digging deep in the threads, FINALLY!

Thank you Steve K9ZW now I know I don't need to ship the Maestro off.
    As stated in a couple other threads I have traded my 6300 so no rig present.

OK Dudley I guess you can now close the helpdesk ticket.
    I will take the maestro over to a friend and get remote going on his rig for now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.