Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and 5GHz

Steve - N4TTY
Steve - N4TTY Member
edited May 2020 in Maestro
I'm trying to use a Ubiquity 5GHz NS5M router to connect my Maestro.  But I'm not seeing the 5GHz SSID on the Maestro (see 2GHz SSIDs fine).  At the moment the Maestro is the only 5GHz capable device in my household, so I don't have anything else to try to see if something else sees the Ubiquity router.

If I just power up the NS5M right out of the box it has a SSID of "ubnt" but I'm not even seeing that.  I should be able to see that on the Maestro correct?  Or is there something I need to do on the Ubiquiti that I am missing?

Need to at least borrow another 5GHz device to check things out.

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Maestro does support 5Ghz.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Don't tell that to the Maestro here as it sees 5GHz WiFI. 
    Had to power it up to verify and at first the 5GHz wasn't seen but after a couple if minutes it appeared.

Nothing special done to the Maestro and/or WiFi setup.

k3Tim / 6
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@Steve

Borrow an iPhone/iPad if you do not have one. They have 5GHz

• Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Howard! I have an iPhone but didn't even think of that. The phone wasn't seeing the SSID, so no wonder the Maestro wasn't seeing it either. The 5GHz router I was trying to use was a Ubiquiti airMax NanoStatiion M5 and there are several things that have to be changed before the SSID becomes visible to standard 5GHz wireless devices and they are able to connect. Now to try the Maestro on 5GHz.
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm interested in your comment Steve in that "....things have to be changed before the SSID becomes visible..." as I use a dual-band router (BT HomeHub 5) and generally can't see the Flex on the 5GHz AP.  The key word here is "generally" - so my question is why does the Flex show quickly on the 2GHz (and wired Ethernet) but often not at all on the 5GHz AP?   Is there anything that I can configure in the router to make this better?

The 5GHz AP works fine with our phones and tablets.

• KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The ubiquiti gear isn't your standard consumer fare. You have to configure it before you'll be able to use it like you intend. Great gear, but some assembly is required!
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes, I have discovered that.  I just had one available because of some mesh networking I was in the middle of and decided why not.  Just had to figure out the "some assembly required" part.

Working great now and the Maestro likes working wireless via 5GHz. 
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited August 2017
    John, I guess a reply on my part won't be too off topic even though the issue I was having is a configuration issue with the default configuration of the Ubiquiti NSM5 device.  I had one of these in my possession due to some mesh networking I had been working with and decided to try to use it as my 5GHz wifi access point.

I'm not sure any of what I had to change plays into your situation though.

The device is from the Ubiquiti airMAX product line and is designed more for the ISP side of wireless networking.  So some changes have to be made to the default configuration for the NSM5 to work in a standard 802.11 environment.  It normally wants to communicate with other airMAX devices using Ubiquiti's proprietary communication protocol.

I found a document and a link to a YouTube video on the Ubiquiti website that I used to get the default configuration changed to allow it to be used as a 'standard' 802.11 access point.

If you'd like a copy of the steps needed to do this, drop me a line at my callsign at arrl dot net.  And once I get it on paper I'll send you a copy.  Anyone else is welcome to do the same.
  • Hector XE2K
    Hector XE2K Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Steve
    use  40 mhz channel width
    and the maestro only can see few of this channels
    5180, 5200, 5220,5240,5745,5765,5785,5805,5825
    try programming one by one until the maestro see it
     and  disable the AIRMAX, VERY IMPORTANT
    Hector XE2K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.