Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Long term availability of spare parts for FRS equipment

Tom
Tom Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I consider buying a new Power Genius and  it is going to be my main amplifier for many years to come. My concern is the availability of major spare parts for it. Can we expect that they will be available in say five,ten or more years' time? One can ask the same question about other equipment manufactured by FRS.

Tom, SP7WT

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The finals will likely be available for a long time to come. They are LDMOS of type 1K50H and devices of these type are pin compatible. The control circuitry will likely have to be obtained from Flex or Sky Sat. 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You can ask this question of any electronics vendor, not just FRS.  None of us can predict the future in this regard.  Electronics manufacturers will continue to build parts as long as they continue to sell parts are are profitable.   
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    AFAIK Flex still supports their first radios. My old reliable Kenwood TS-930 was orphaned long ago by Kenwood. How about Tokyo Hi-Power? They were a very well known Japanese company that I'm now told is gone. With 47 years already invested into this hobby, I've yet to see any company equal the initiatives that FRS demonstrates to maintain customer satisfaction. I would not have any hesitation in purchasing the amp.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Quite a detailed answer Tim. Thanks for the insight.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.