Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control with 6400M/6600M

Carl N8VZ
Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Simple question, based on my pre-order of an M series radio: Will the FlexControl continue to work with the 6400M and 6600M?  I've looked all over the place here and can't find the answer.  I'm guessing that they will work in PC Mode but not in standalone mode.  Is that correct?  It would be neat if my FlexControl would work in standalone mode.  Thanks for your time in answering this simple question.  -- Carl N8VZ

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good question.  I never thought to ask that at the announcement.  However, I'm sure the smart software guys can make it function for you.

Everything else Flex will work.  Maestro, Computers and IOS devices as well.

Mike

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The FlexControl Knob interfaces through SSDR on the host computer, so there's no reason to think that it wouldn't work on the new models when running SSDR. All 6000 models, new and old, will run the same SDR release.

However there is no current function that allows the FlexControl Knob to interface directly with any of the 6000 models via the rig's own USB port. It has been suggested previously, but would require a lot of additional software drivers in the rig to do it. So, you are correct, it will not currently run in stand-alone mode. But you will have a great control surface built into the 'M' models, so you wouldn't really need it.
  • Chuck Smith
    Chuck Smith Member
    edited May 2017
    " so you wouldn't really need it."

Hardly the case; why do you think Ten Tec and Icom both have optional remote tuning knobs? So you can relax and not have to be sitting up at the radio face. It enables you to sit reclined and still be able to tune around. A requirement for long hours of listening.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    That is not a feature that will be included in the initial release of the radios.  We have no plans to offer that feature but will consider it for a future release.
  • ken wing
    ken wing Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tim.  Can you run two flex controls on two slices with the 6600?
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No with Icom 7610 you can plug in a standard USB mouse or wireless mouse dongle and use the mouse for tuning. One of the great features of that rig using standard PC peripherals with the USB Port. Icom has remote tuning knobs for users that don't realize they can use the standard pc usb keyboards and mice just by plugging them into the USB port.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Running SSDR/W you can use two Flex Controls with any model, but it also entails the use of either SDR-Bridge or DDutil to enable the 2nd knob.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    What Rick said.
  • ken wing
    ken wing Member
    edited April 2018
    I thank you both!
  • Frank Ventura
    Frank Ventura Member
    edited March 2019

Two related follow up questions: The first is it was mentioned above that the initial release of the"M" models will not support using the rear USb port. Is that still the case in the current release? Second question is it possible to attach an external USB keyboard to the stand alone Maestro? I have heard there is a USb port on the bottom (battery compartment). In either case what I am trying to do is get a USb keyboard to work with either the stand alone Maestro or the M models. On a Windows tablet with an external keyboard attached pressing CONTROl WINDOWS ENTER turns on Narrator. I would like to turn Windows Narrator on in either version of the Maestro but don't know how to do that if I can't use a USb keyboard. thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.