Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Remote Softether Issue

John - K3MA
John - K3MA Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I have Softether Server installed on the shack PC and it has worked fine for months when using a Laptop or Ipad remotely.  Last week I decided to follow the video instruction on setting the remote laptop up with Softether Bridge to allow the Maestro to be used remotely.  On the remote laptop I am using the Wifi connection to access the WAN side and make the VPN connection back to the Softether server in the shack.  I am then creating the bridge to the installed ethernet adapter in the remote laptop and attach the Maestro to this ethernet adapter with a physical network cable.  All the VPN and Bridge connections seem to work.  However when I start up the Maestro it goes thru it normal startup and brings up the SmartSDR GUI showing the VFO A and VFO B information but there is no spectrum display or waterfall showing (no audio also).  Looking at the Network info in the Menu it appear to show a IP address on the shack network.

Does anyone have a idea of what setting I am missing or have incorrect?

Regards, John

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    John

What sort of speeds do you have on each end?  Try using www.dslreports.com/speedtest.   Also note the bufferbloat rating.

Can you also test this without using any sort of Wifi connection, just as a test?

The only times I have seen this using Softether were due to constricted bandwidth issues.

Mike va3mw

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Both ends are roughly 60 down and 6 up.  Bloat is a B rating on DSL report scan.  I have never had a problem using SmartSDR on the remote PC or SmartSDR iOS on the iPad using either Wifi or hardwire at this location.  I have ordered a USB Ethernet adapter to try in place of the wifi connection.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi John

Thanks, so speed isn't an issue.  I've seen this twice in the past year.  What seemed to solve it if I remember correctly was a cold reboot of the Maestro and the Radio.   I doubt it is your Wifi connection unless there is some sort of restriction on your wifi connections like client visibility.

Mike 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What is the IP numbering on your home network? I've heard of this issue where when the IP numbering matches that of the local wifi (i.e. Maestro end) it will cause a conflict and not have any waterfall etc. I set mine to an unusual 10.x.x.x network so there is little chance of a conflict. If it is 192.168.1.x it's time to change it. 
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion Ria.  However, I ran into that issue many months ago and changed the network to 10.x.x.x to prevent a conflict.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2017

John,

Are both ends the same 10.x.x.x subnet? You would need to have them different from each other.

I haven't used the Maestro remote over SoftEther in a while but can test later.

73 Dave wo2x

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dave, different scheme on each end.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Here are a couple of shots of the Maestro screens.  None of the wifi connection are setup for the Maestro to use.   The Internet connection on the bridged remote laptop is working.  The Flex comes up on the connection screen correctly and the screen asking the version of software comes up also.  The final screen with no waterfall or spectrum is what appears after selecting the Flex and software version.

imageimage
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Can you check your maestro network screen and make sure all the ip addresses are in the same subnet. Mike
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What kind of wifi are you using on the pi? Built in or a dongle?
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ria I am not using the Pi.  I am using the wifi adapter in the remote laptop and the ethernet port on the remote laptop to the Maestro.  The softether software is running on a windows computer back in the shack and is connected via cable to the router/modem.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Problem Solved!  

While investigating the Maestro subnet I found that the Maestro ethernet adapter which can be viewed from the Advance menu on the connection screen showed that the ethernet adapter was set to Static and it should be set to DHCP so that it gets assigned a address from the Softether Server network on that network.  I have no idea how this setting was on Static.  I have always run the Maestro with a wireless connection so I can only assume it came from the factory this way as I have never been in the Advance menu.

Ria and Mike thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

Regards, John
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Glad you figured it out!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.