Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

UR6QW 8 Band EQ with Flex 6500

Reggie
Reggie Member ✭✭

Has anyone used the UR6QW 8 Band EQ with the Flex 6000?

The EQ can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Band-Sound-Equalizer-Echo-Compressor-to-YAESU-Radio-8-pin-mic-transceiver-...?

Reggie

Answers

• Wes
    Wes Member
    edited February 2017
    This is one of those things someone would use on a CB radio or radio that doesn't have an EQ, it would just cause head aches.
    The EQ in the SmartSDR is more than enough to get Great audio quality. 
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I totally agree the one which is inside the radio is much better
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I agree....Since I use flex I have my W2IHY  under the desk.....Better go for a professional microphone: Heil, Shure....
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Reggie... this kind of brings up the question: are you experiencing a problem with audio quality that you are trying to resolve? If so, maybe someone in the community can help with that. There's a good YouTube video or two on audio setup also.

I have very little SSB experience but have been getting involved more and more lately. With a decent microphone and some setup assistance I've been fortunate to get some good reports or, just as good in my opinion, no comment about my audio.

I have the type of mid-deep voice that is though enough to hear on a telephone but the Flex's equalizer and other audio tweaking tools seems to take care of that issue on the air.

Kev K4VD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I use the W2IHY 8 band EQ and EQ Plus. I get unsolicited great reports with them but it doesn't mean you can't get very good audio reports straight into the radio. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If running a dynamic studio mic straight into the radio such as the Heil PR40 you would be better served using a small preamp between the mic and radio.

I do not know how the UR6QW stacks up against the W2IHY gear.

One problem people do with EQ'ing in general is try to do very deep cuts in audio. Remember once you remove part of the audio (cut @ a certain frequency), you cannot add that part of the audio back in.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Agree and i have not enough money to spend for nothing

i like to have my F6700
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I like the reverb (echo) option. Then you could sound like a real CB'er from the 70's.    BREAKER BREAKER one nine.   Got a copy on me, Big Ben?     Got a 'Smokie' on my tail and a 'bear' in the air.      
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I plan to use a Heil PR781 mic, and I thought needed a preamp with the Flex 6500?  Will the PR781 work correctly without the preamp when connected to the XLR jack on the 6500?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited February 2017
    Yep. Works great! On radio setup Phone/CW select +20 dB and no bias. There are some decent default profiles to use. You'll have to change them a bit to use the XLR cable but can save them with an new name and adjust to your liking.

Kev K4VD2
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have used HR781 from beginning with blance connection to radio - no doubts one of the best choise here without additional HW. I used my own profiles with more suppression of the low freq and like Kevin mentioned above with +20db and no bias. However plenty of simple microphones works as well pretty good. Very important in this process is just listen own signal .
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    You don't need a mic preamp, but if you want the best transmit SNR, then adding one will definitely achieve that goal.  But only if it is a quality mic preamp; adding a cheap (noisy) one will make the situation worse.

For audio signal chain management, it is best to generate all of your signal input gain at the first stage so that you do not degrade your SNR by adding gain at later stages in the chain.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Why use external 8-ch EQ when you have an internal 8-ch EQ within SmartSDR. I have a 31-ch EQ from my music days but don't have it in my audio chain because I simply don't need it. Yes, I would be able to more tweak the sweet spots of my voice but I'm not singing a vocal, I'm giving a signal report and some rag chew. Saying that I do put my PR-40 through a tube pre-amp that smooths out my voice the way I like it but is it really noticeable to others? I'd like to think so but really those with good audio ears can only tell the difference.
    Sell whatever external EQ you have and invest in a better microphone as others have suggested, may I suggest a tube pre-amp, you will be amazed how the EQ in SmartSDR can make a microphone sound.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.