Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internal PC Ethernet Switch??

Rich - N5ZC
Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I've been working on consolidating my station.  One of the things I'd like to get rid of is my Ethernet switch.

I'm curious if an internal Ethernet switch is available to install inside my pc like a pci card? 

Rich - N5ZC

Answers

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You can get a multi port card but I've never heard of a Ethernet card acting as a switch.

David
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks David,

I may be using the wrong terms.  I have a 5 port switch that I would like to move into my pc so I'll one less box to worry about.

Rich - N5ZC
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The classic approach is to install a second Ethernet card. Then you configure your OS to route packets the way you want. Not for beginners... You could also operate your 2nd port with your radio as a private network (unrouted). This might have some performance and security advantages.
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Greetings,
    How about this:  keep your internet switch - don't dump the switching burden on your CPU
    (even indirectly) - but find a way to command your switch to alter itself to the routing you want.
    If you can't find a switch that does this directly, I suggest:
    --- contact the OEM's techies to see if they have a trick.
    --- find a switch that uses open-source control code and add or mod the command logic?
    Alex/KM5YT
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There are managed switches that can do this although they typically start to get expensive since they are really designed for IT departments to manage packet routing for their company.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The OP was looking to minimize his hardware.  The minimum solution is just a direct connection from PC to the radio.  But then there is no Internet.  If he wants Internet service, he probably has a router in the house.  What most of us probably do is to attach radio and PC (separately) to the home router -- or connect all three together with an Ethernet switch.  (Assuming no WiFi in the picture.)  You can make your PC behave like a switch if you add a second Ethernet card, but you have to do some OS magic.  The CPU load for a modern PC should not be a problem.

WiFi would let you avoid the extra switch box, but there is the extra problem that the Flex radio does not offer WiFi directly.  (Maybe Flex should support wireless networking on the next iteration?) You'd could use your PC with a WiFi connection to the home router and an Ethernet connection to the radio.  But you still need a little magic in your Windows configuration.

If you don't have a router, but directly connect your PC to a cable/DSL modem, you'd need the 2nd Ethernet port and make your PC into a router.  Or join the 21st century, and add a home router. :)

It's an interesting topic, but personally, if I had to worry more than 30 minutes about all this, I would just go with a small switch box.

73 Martin AA6E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.