Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone installed VPN on their Windows 10 PC with SSDR 1.10.8 BETA?

I added PureVPN to my Windows 10 Computer today and it works fine - but SSDR 1.10 no longer starts.  The Flex model and icon never appear in the left start panel.  I suspect the VPN function has broken the network connection to the Flex 6700.  I have no idea of how to troubleshoot and repair this.  Help Please.  

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Use windows to restore to the point before you installed the VPN software. http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943 73, Mack W4AX
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Does pure VPN assign an I/P address consistent with the router...that is if your router address is 192.168.1.1 do it assign an address 192.168.1.xx(x)?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes, but you will have 2 IP's on your Remote Client. One from where you start net and one from your target net.

Means for example: you start your Laptop at any Hotel and you get a IP like ****.****.****.x , then you start a VPN tunnel to your home network and your home router has 192.168.1.1 then you get for your notebook also a 192.168.1.xx address. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I am referring to the address the remote router assigns to the remoting client. Sounds like it should  work but I would double check that. I have OpenVPN on my Linksys 1900ACS rouiter. Unfortunately, it does not assign the same I/P address as those on the NET. However, Softether does and works very well. If you get the problem resolved I hope you will post what the solution was.

Good luck,

Jim, k6QE

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Make certain that the Pure VPN isn't changing your default gateway default. You want to operate in what is known as "split tunnel" mode, where the VPN allows you to connect to the remote network, without using the remote network's default gateway.

Just a guess as to what might be occurring, as it's common when setting up L2TP VPN connections on Windows.  Google "windows vpn default gateway" for details to see if that's the issue.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

How does a VPN service change the gateway address? I was always under the assumption the gateway address was controlled by the router. I am not arguing, I just find your statement very interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a situation where my gateway address was not 192.168.1.1.

Jim, K6QE

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    In windows by default when you connect via L2TP VPN it uses the remote LAN default gateway, which isn't always obvious. https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2010/01/using-the-local-default-gateway-with-a-windows-vpn-connection/
  • Les Tucker K6ZF
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for all responses.  Unfortunately I understand Network issues about as well as I understand nuclear fusion. Les - K6ZF
  • Les Tucker K6ZF
    edited January 2017
    Yes, PureVPN  is consistent with the IP address of the router
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I agree. It is one of the subjects where the authors, etal, try to impress rather than express. It can't be that hard, but the subject is inundated with abbreviations, acronyms, techie dazzlement, etc. Unfortunately to understand it, you have to work in the profession, or try to find a good course to build up your knowledge slowly.

Jim, K6QE

• Les Tucker K6ZF
    edited January 2017
    Ha ha that is so true, Jim.  Something like " HTTP - Oh, you don't know what that means?"  The abbreviations are rampant.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Les,

How about we jump on a screen share session and I will have a look at your system with you to see if I can figure anything out.  No guarantees I can, but I'm willing to try.

If you're interested, shoot me an email: rick (at) w5fcx (dot) net.

Rick, W5FCX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.