Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 SSB Audio Complaints

2»

Comments

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Listen to the Flex net. Most signals are good, but not that good compared to other transceivers. To the discerning ear, you generally can tell a Flex is in use by the slight echo on the signal due to RF ingress. On 6300's it can be quite the challenge to vanquish completely. A lot of money is spent on expensive microphones for communications where intelligent tweaks of EQ and isolation can many times afford greater benefit.

W7NGA  dan
    Seaside, Oregon 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Mark - sorry I am late to the game.  I am doing double time work this week.  I am converting your Community post to a HelpDesk ticket.  I want you to update the ticket with the serial number of your radio so we can determine if what you are experiencing is noise on the mic ground.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Mark, Mark, Mark.  You'll never have great audio until you get your ticket punched by one of the audio "gatekeepers" on 75m, 40m, or 20m.  Of course, to do that you will have to endure years of endless hours of on air-fiddling with external audio processors, equalizers, and studio microphones, all under the tutelage of a small group of "certified" audio experts.  Unfortunately, you will never achieve full recognition as long as you are using a Flex radio, because THEY don't have Flex radios.

Remember the line from the Ricky Nelson song, Garden Party?
    "But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
    You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself"

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    As a retread person, I'm available most times, and all except 6 meters, and the 160 meter antenna is a real cloudwarmer from here. 80 40 20, depends on the time of day of course. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Kev K4VD - deep low voice here too - though if you meet me on the radio it doesn't sound like that!! <grin>

If you want, toss me a reminder email and I'll pop some screen shots of how my EQ is set up for you.

I recognized long ago that to be heard AND understood I needed some help.  So I try to start with a very flat mic and use either external or on-board processing to modify what the other person hears. 

I also do my own brew of modification of received audio to improve my comprehension of the other station and to compensate against my hearing frequency response.  I've had visitors say the would adjust the RX audio differently, but they also noticed I ended up working stations that with the RX audio flat we couldn't begin to understand. 

In the end what works for you is what is "good." 

FRS suggestion to check for any grounding issues with a Help Ticket makes a lot of sense too.

Looking forward to hearing your next audio captures or hearing you on the air.

Steve K9ZW

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yeah that's pretty much how it is. So I tell them I'm running an old broadcast transmitter I saved from the scrap heap... lol

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.