Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I get SmartSDR Cat to connect to my Flex6500 via VPN

Options
Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm presently in Florida till spring.  I have a Raspberry Pi setup as a server at home using the configuration that Chris K6OZY created.  I have another Raspberry Pi here in Florida as a bridge for the Maestro. It works perfectly.  I want to run HRD version 6 on my laptop for logging and Cluster connected to the radio back home.  I can connect to my Flexradio via Windows VPN as well using Smartsdr.  But I get errors when I run SmartSDR CAT . I can not add ports or remove them. The errors are shown here in the attached photos. I really would like to use HRD so I can log. Any ideas ??

Bill
VA3QB

imageimage

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Assuming you are using Softether on your laptop and start another VPN (Softether Client Manager) session to the same PI at your radio end.  It will then connect and you can use CAT.

Mike va3mw

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm using Windows 10 VPN  client.

Bill 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am sure you can use that, but you will have to configure the PI at the remote end to accept L2TP connections.  I suspect that the VPN you are using is giving you a different IP Subnet that what your Radio is on.  Try pinging your radio from your laptop and see if that works.

As I think about it, I don't know if the Win 10 VPN client will work as it may do what is called a Layer 2 relay of the packets.  Normal IP stuff is Layer 3.    

Your fastest solution is to just use the Softether Client manager on your Win 10 laptop.  You will find it 'just works'.

73, Mike va3mw

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    "Easiest" solution just get a switch and connect maestro, laptop and pi together. This way they are all on the same LAN to LAN vpn.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That's a great idea.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have am using a switch setup and it works great. The Raspberry Pi/softeither solutions works so well, I have used it with streaming video. Great resource.
    Watts
    K4QJZ
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes, indeed. I need that for when I travel. I hate restrictions. LOL. 
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Worked like a charm Ria. Thanks !!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.