Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote start is disabled by default when upgrading to 1.10.8 Beta

K9SO
K9SO Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Not a big general problem, and it's resolved this time, but it was a big problem for me when I tried to upgrade to the new Beta SW remotely. I operate one of my 6500s locally in North Carolina and another 6500 remotely in Illinois (and vice versa depending on where I am). I access both either with my Maestro or SSDR so actually I can operate two stations in two locations simultaneously.

As posted in a separate thread, I upgraded flawlessly using the Maestro locally (in NC). Very simple.

But when I tried to upgrade Illinois, I bricked my remote system and could not connect to the Illinois 6500. (NC still worked FB locally).

After an 800 mile drive to investigate (OK ... I was going home anyway :-) I traced the problem to a restart. I restart by enabling REMOTE and then power cycling. I discovered that the DEFAULT settings when upgraded have the REMOTE setting DISABLED. Therefore, when the radio was power cycled during the upgrade my radio was waiting for my magic finger to physically restart the radio.

So the update went well, but when it rebooted, I could not remotely restart because of the disabled REMOTE setting. When I got home and physically pressed the front panel start button, all was well. "Problem" resolved. 

It would be nice if the settings could transfer to new SW upgrades (especially REMOTE!). Nice in the sense that it would save me gas. 

Fred
K9SO

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This particular caveat was well documented in the Important Release Details section of the release notes for SmartSDR v1.10.8, especially the concerns with updating remotely.  This is why it is always a best practice to completely read the release notes before upgrading your radio to a new version of firmware.

I have reprinted the paragraph.

If you operate your radio remotely, please read this before upgrading.  As a result of correcting defect #4046, where the power LED would incorrectly indicate the presence of a GPSDO, the setting for the Remote On feature has been reset to its default state (disabled).  If you are using the Remote On feature of the radio, you will need to change it back to enabled once you have upgraded to SmartSDR v1.10.8.  Upgrading the radio remotely may result in the radio not rebooting after the upgrade if the Remote On feature is required.
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thank you Tim ... no, I missed that. But really, I know better than to do things like that after 2 decades of remote operating. I would not have tried if I weren't heading back.

I hope this can be corrected in future releases. Not having the ability to remotely start is a problem for many of us.

Thanks for the support as always.

Fred
    K9SO
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If the issue could have been corrected and this was not necessary, it would have.  This wasn't because of some sort of lazy short cut we took, it was due to a defect and due to the nature of it, the previous state could not be retained.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This explains why my remote 6700 did not come back up after the update. Easy enough fix. Thanks!
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Oh ...... My god .... I had to read the documents and release notes, then lower my pride and go to the community for help .... Shhhh don't tell anyone pleaae LOL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.