Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Enable MIC and BAL input at the same time

Kg5dwx
Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

I would like to have the BAL input on the rear of the unit open at the same time as the MIC input on the front, you may ask why.  I am using the front MIC for a headset and the rear BAL for a M110A hardware modem. Currently if I want to send M110A traffic, I must chose BAL, transmit from the modem, then back to MIC. On a busy MARS net, this can be a real issue. I could build a hardware solution but prefer to use the radio features if possible.

Flex 6500 running 1.9.13.173

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Could you connect the M110A modem to the computer sound card input, then route the sound card output to DAX in the PC? DAX and MIC can be used at the same time, albeit alternately. I am not at all sure that this is possible, but it was just a wild thought that might (or might not) work.

Craig, KØCF

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Would suggest using the AUX input (DB15hd connector) instead of the balanced input. Has TX/RX audio and PTT lines all in one connector. Having two hot mics at once is probably undesired since stray Shack noise could corrupt your data transmission. Craig's idea about DAX is also very good.
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Will consider but adds a layer of distortion due to reprocessing .
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks, has the same issues as my current setup. I understand the issue of shack noise and a good comment.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Actually, this is probably not true. The M110A will be digitized by your sound card, which will be the only analog processing. This signal will be passed as a digital bit stream to DAX, which goes digitally into a totally digital radio. There is no further analog processing after the sound card ADC. I have no qualms about operating RTTY with AFSK because of this. There is no effective difference between the Flex AFSK and "true" FSK in other (analog) radios.

Craig, KØCF

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The short answer is no.  The radio is not designed to have multiple "mic" inputs active at the same time.  The only option is to use the audio input on the ACC connector, which can be used simultaneously with a mic input. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.