Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Firmware update via SmartSDR for iOS?

K3DCW
K3DCW Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I've been experimenting with a combination of SmartSDR for iOS as well as dogparkSDR for use on my Mac.  I love both programs and find no real reason to use Windows; well, except for the need to update the Firmware in the Flex 6500 when necessary.  Thus my question. 

Is there any intention to allow updating of the Flex's firmware via SmartSDR for iOS, or is it already able to do that and I just haven't been using it very long, thus no new Firmware?

I'd really love to delete my Windows VM to save the disk space, but am using it right now for those times I need to update the firmware. 

Thanks in advance and 73

Dave

Comments

• Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Amen to this:  given no path for IOS update and Dogpark Software replying a couple of weeks ago that they had no plans to support firmware upload, we are left with Shifty Bill's Windoze - which I
    am gradually trying to walk away from and isolate.  I am also hoping for a LINUX suite with firmware
    load ASAP. 

Alex/KM5YT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    You can always use a Maestro to update the radio firmware.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I may be mistaken, but I get the impression from reading a variety of posts and release notes through the years that the firmware update routine may be one of the more complex operations in SSDR for Windows of Maestro -- requiring complex communications timing, updating multiple processors inside the 6000 rigs, error checking, rebooting different internal processors, etc.  And the consequences of getting this wrong may be extremely serious - perhaps even bricking the rig and requiring a trip back to Austin.  This may be one reason that other developers are reluctant to pursue adding a firmware update routine to their client software.  Perhaps the software team would enlighten us?
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited June 2020
    I can't speak for anyone else - but allowing dogparkSDR to update the firmware would make it possible for us to break something that we couldn't fix. I don't think anyone would want to risk that.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Right, Don.  I get nervous if strangers ask me to help jump-start their car...if something breaks, even if it wasn't my fault, I could get the blame!   
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Having trouble getting this replied to - but here goes again:
    --- I think it should be a design desideratum that the F6K+ series be 'robust' or 
    'anti-fragile' in the  Nassim Taleb sense. The unit should a) not be able to be  bric'd
    by any logical signals sent to it, b) and/or fully field resettable with or w/o a 'magic
    dongle (supplied)' - the only reason for a return of the unit should be fried componentry -- which is why I have annoyed the Flexvolk to go to a card cage layout!
    We will have to visit this issue again when a LINUX version of smartSDR. 
    --- Isolated jumpers (or just good procedure) can avoid such agonies - even in the
    pathetically fragile electronics in rolling stock on the market of late! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.