Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Global Profile Question

Harold Rosee
Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I noticed that saving a Global profile is not saving the tuning step.  I open a problem ticket but it was closed as not being an issue.  I am a little confused.  I did a search and found this from Tim that was posted a couple of years ago:
------------------------------------
Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager
  • 5451 Posts
  • 1778 Reply Likes
Gobal Profiles save the "radio" state, not the configuration of GUI (display) elements, since the radio can have multiple types of clients connecting to it.
-------------------------------------------------

So based on this I was expecting the "state of the radio" to be saved including the TUNING STEP.

Here is the text from my ticket:
=============================

HAROLD ROSEE (W5ZZT)

Oct 15, 10:50 PM CDT

I noticed that the tuning step is not save in the Global profile. It always goes to what it was set last even if you reload the Global profile. This may be by design but I believe the entire state of the radio is supposed to be saved.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Harold

FRS RESPONSE:

Dudley (WA5QPZ) FlexRadio Systems Support (FlexRadio Systems)

Oct 17, 9:56 AM CDT

Harold ,

As I understand it , the tuning step is to a persistence setting by band , by mode. In the Export/Import one of the options is the "Preferences" check box which contains the Tuning Steps definitions, or persistence.

Since your issue regarding this support ticket has been addressed, I am changing the status of your HelpDesk ticket to "solved" in order to close it in 4 days. If you have any additional questions regarding this incident, you can re-open this ticket by replying to it or open a new HelpDesk ticket.

Thanks for using the FlexRadio HelpDesk.

Dudley Hurry, WA5QPZ

FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713

================================================================

I am really not sure Dudley's response addresses my question so I thought I would throw it out here for some comments. Shouldn't the tuning step be saved in the Global profile?  The bandwidth as well as other settings are.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Harold

Answers

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Starting in section 14 of the manual there's an attempt to list what parameters are saved by persistence and the three profiles. I do not see tune step size listed as any of the saved parameters.

Section 8.2 says tune step size is mode group specific (SSB, DIGITAL, FM, AM, RTTY, each waveform). This does not appear to be the case. Setting a tuning step size in USB doesn't set the tuning step size for LSB as would be suggested by the mode group.

Section 31.7.7 indicates the setting is "remembered" on a per-slice basis. I think it might be more accurate to say it is remembered on a per mode basis. Set it for USB in one slice and it is set for any slice  while in USB mode. If the step size is changed in an active slice and then another slice is made active it will have the changed step size.

80 LSB set step to 1K
    40 LSB step size is 1K
    20 USB step size is 500 (should be 1K if mode group specific) set to 1K
    80 LSB step size is 1K
    40 LSB step size is 1K
    20 USB step size is 1K set to 2K
    20 LSB step size is 1K (should be 2K if mode group specific).

While some seem to find profiles a wonderful thing I find it poorly implemented and a potential for trouble. Right now my XMT and MIC profiles have a * beside the name and I have no clue what is changed. There's no way to even tell if Global has changed. Persistence in persistently confusing. You can tune a slice but you can't tuna fish.

tl;dr Tuning step size seems to be saved by persistence and follows the mode (not mode group). 

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for your comments. I should have stated why I asked my question in the first place.

I do a lot of switching back and forth between the desktop and the iphone app.  What I was hoping for was a easy way to set everything back the way it was after I operate remote. My solution was to be able to use the Global setting I saved on the PC.

So if one has everything set to there liking and switches to the iphone app how do you get it back like it was??  I guess that is really my question. 

Anybody have a suggestion?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Harold
    Step size is one of the settings saved in the memory profiles, even though that's an off topic response, it hadn't seen it mentioned yet.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Nice. I didn't notice step being saved in the memories. They can be exported from the profiles menu and maybe imported into another client? Seems like a bit of a pain. Or, are the memories stored in the Flex and any client (Win, IOS, etc) attached to that particular radio will have access to them?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Kevin

I don't know for sure, I only have the one 6500, but it's connected to several PCs over the LAN. I can, and do, export profile's and memories from the rig to each of the PC's so my guess, the memories are being stored in the Flex. Maestro uses the stored memories, so they ought to be available for other clients. Just remember to export and backup any useful memory sets. They get erased from the radio when you do a hard reset and will need to be reimported.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.