Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Nasty sounding DAX TX tones

Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
I am familiar with how to set TX audio with a non-SDR transceiver when using digital modes, and I am also familiar how to do it with a Flex 3000.  However, with my new 6300 and SamrtSDr with DAX I have some nasty sounding digital tones, al least what i can hear when the MON icon is selected.  Any suggestions for how i can 'clean" this up?  I have made sure TX EQ is off, I have made sure the "level" stays below the red zone, and I have tried different slider settings in the DAX Control panel under TX stream. The best way i can describe the nasty sounding tones is.. I hear the usual high pitched tones of modes like PSK31 , RTTY, or ARDOP but mixed in is some  raspy lower pitched audio that sounds like someone blowing on a mic.

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Have you tried restarting dax? 
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited October 2016
    yes.  I get the same on two different PC's, a desktop and a laptop.
    I just discovered that the noise is there regardless of there I have MON active or not.  So it is a noise that smartSDR produces when I am in transmit mode using DAX OR when using a MIC (foot switch down but not saying anything).  I'm not sure if it goes out over the air.  It does not change when varying RF output levels. 
    Andy 
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Andrew obviously the first thing to check is for RFI. Make sure you are not getting anything back into your setup, especially if you are using external gear.

But I too have had what I think is the same problem. It happens about every week or so and the only way I have found to fix it is to power down the flex and bring it back up. I don't have to restart Smartsdr just the hardware. Its weird and not sure what causes it.

Lee
  • Andrew O'Brien
    edited March 2017
    Turning off and back on does not seem to resolve things here.  The noise is present when in transmit with zero RF and zero DAX TX gain  Nothing shows on the SmartSDR signal display, so maybe it is just something I should ignore and learn to live with.
    Andy K3UK
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Im concerned about this I have run into this or something similar with afsk RTTY..  and I cant remember what I did to resolve it, I thought it was just a dax reset.  try monitoring your output and see how it is copied on the other end.  Another thing to try is to reset the radio and give it another go.  also ensure you are running the latest SSDR release.  (dont forget to export profiles first).
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Try transmitting into a dummy load to minimize the possibility of RFI.  Once you rule out RFI, then it is time to look for other sources.

Are you using the same digital mode program for your tests?  If so, change that variable.

Try changing the output gain level in the digital mode program to a different value and change the DAX TX gain appropriately to see if there is an issue with over driving the input gain stage.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are you using USB mode or DigiU?  DigiU (or DigiL) is the preferred mode for digital ops (other than RTTY, where the RTTY Mode is preferred), because it automatically turns off TX EQ and COMP.  It also allows you to save a Digi Mic Profile that is saved separately from SSB/AM/FM Mic Profiles.

In addition to Tim's suggestions, you might also wish to check the properties of the DAX Audio TX line to make sure that the sampling rate is 48,000 (Mismatches in sampling rates can cause oddball junk.  The sampling rate of DAX and your digital program must be harmonically related.  i.e. 48,000 and 8,000, 12,000, or 24,000 so that the math conversions don't leave oddball remainders leftover.

Also, check to see that you don't have any virtual audio sound devices "cross-wired" in the windows sound control application.  Or if you have some "phantom" or "hidden" DAX devices running on the same channel.  (often caused by another Windows 10 update.)  or a channel that is set to "listen" to another channel, essentially mixing another audio source with your digital audio.

I also second the suggestion to check for RF feedback before you tear any other hair out.  Transmit into your transverter port and monitor on a nearby receiver, or transmit on the lowest 1 watt setting, or use a dummy load and see if the noise persists.  You may have a loose or leaky jumper, a ground loop, or need to obtain some ferrite isolation cores.  (Mix 31 snap-ons are your friend!)

The 6000 series should have extremely clean digital signals...cleaner than any analog/sound card system.  So I am confident that you will be able to track it down.

Good luck -

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.