Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I need recommendation on a good logging software program that will work with smart SDR

2»

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have a stack of them dating from 1974 to 2003 before moving to various electronic formats. One advantage is that it was easy to document station changes and improvements. None of the electronic formats make this easy.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    A way to document station changes in most computer logs is to create a QSO with yourself and use the comments field for the details. The nice thing about this is that it becomes searchable and correlates with all other log entries with date and time. Some logs (DXLabs for example) even has custom fields that can be used for keeping track of very specific categories.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll have to try that.  I used to put a call in like *note* or *comment* which worked with N3FJP's ACLog until I started using LOTW about two and a half years ago.  Then they got flagged as bad calls and I had to edit them out.  I never thought about using my own call!  'DoH!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    One question I have for those fluent in Log4OM or DXLabs:

When I tried to export my ACLog files to one of these systems a while back, I couldn't figure out how to import the Comments field, and user-defined "Other" fields that I had used for SMIRK number, OMISS, NPOTA, etc.  

I am sure that it is possible, but I didn't find it easily and then got sidetracked, so I kept using ACLog.  

If I could be sure that I could import all of my data, including custom data fields, I might make a change to a more powerful logging program.

Any helpful hints?

Ken - NM9P
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    http://forum.log4om.com/
    Ken,  LOG4OM supports all the official ADIF fields, so if the comments use one of the designated fields it should import it automatically.  I'd suggest the following - download the latest version (it's FREE) and try to import your files. If you encounter any problems, go to their forum (General Discussion section) and ask the question. "Terry" will likely respond and tell you if its possible and how to do it. I've been so impressed with the support that I would not hesitate paying for this program. I was able to get all my paper logs previously stored in an old DOS logging program imported into LOG4OM with Terry's assistance.

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    DXKeeper's help says:

===
    User-defined Items

Each of the eight user-defined items logged with each QSO can be imported 

• from an ADIF file using the field names APP_DXKEEPER_USER_DEFINED_0 through APP_DXKEEPER_USER_DEFINED_7

• from a tab-delimited file using the field names APP_DXKEEPER_USER_DEFINED_0 through APP_DXKEEPER_USER_DEFINED_7 or UDF_0 through UDF_7 orUDF_CAPTION where CAPTION is the user-defined item's Caption

Enabling a user-defined item's ADIF option enables that item to be both imported or exported using its Caption as the field name - in both ADIF and tab-delimited files.

===

That said, the context sensitive help files are in-depth and the support offered by Dave AA6YQ on the Yahoo! group (and here) is nothing short of outstanding.

During the import there is some integrity checking. Using the SQL features in the Filters & Modifiers dialog you can do any batch fixups you can dream of.

Here's what the import dialog looks like. Not so ugly or poorly laid out:  ;)

• Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I second the vote for Logic9.
  • Peter Bacon
    Peter Bacon Member
    edited October 2016
    There is a series of YouTube videos on using Log4OM.  One specifically covers importing files.  Peter G3ZSS
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I do local and remote operation with my iPad and iOS . Occasionally, I grab the windows laptop . I use open VPN for the remote operation, which works like a charm for me. I scream for an integrated logging program with Flex radios that cuts across windows and iOS. It puts all my logs in the "Ham cloud ". After the cloud storage , it goes to any logbook that I want. It should support contesters and my occasional logging.! Am I sending a message to Flex marketing to make this happen? This I would pay for. Thanks for your response Stan N1THL
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

I believe that Marcus is planning to add Logging into SmartSDR for iOS.

When?

When it's finished...  "It's just a Simple Matter of Programming"

(Hi Hi)

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Seeing more features in the iOS version of SmartSDR amazes me.... it is just one guy programming it!! How many people programming at FRS? Is it public knowledge?

Can't wait for a Linux version of SmartSDR (Official). Windows 10 has been the best Linux promotion in a long time! :)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

The issue I had with my paper logs is that I kept moving around the world.. @$6-10 per pound to move them each time, they quickly got left behind with all my shoe boxes full of QSL Cards.  They are now populating dumps on 4 continents.  (well before recycling was available)

The bonus to my of leaving them behind is I got to start all over a again on completely new set of DXCC from each country.  - yes I know that I would have had to do that anyways but it's an excuse to begin again...

I really love LOTW and keeping everything electronic and in the cloud.. no more paper to carry....

Currently use DXLabs and HRD and Writelog and N1MM+   All have different strengths and weaknesses...

Frankly, maybe it's because I am a technonerd, but I never could understand why anyone would think that DDUTIL +HRD  is difficult to set up.  It literally takes a couple of clicks on the setup screen and it goes...

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

@Sal

Marcus only has to write the Client software which use the FRS Radio Firmware Server Software

... FRS has to write the Server Software and program it into the radio firmware

Much more difficult task.

But I agree Marcus is amazing

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard, that means that Cluster integration has already been done at the Server Software side but has only been implemented on the iOS version of SmartSDR?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

Cluster integration (my biggest wanted) was done by Marcus outside of the radio server.   It is not part of the server.

Marcus also improved the colors so that vision challenged older folks could actually see the Meters.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am really looking forward to visual improvements.
    There are discrepancies between what you see and what is really happening.

If you zoom out the skirts of a SSB transmisión look like going over your frequency marker. That is not the case when you zoom in.

When you open several panadapters the divider between panadapter and waterfall gets stuck and you cannot move it.

The Black slider from 70% to 100% is useless as it is maxed out and does nothing on the display... the granularity of that slider is just not that fine. Even PowerSDR in the latest revisions has a very usable AUTO setting, the one on SmartSDR is not that great... too much blue. If you have a chance try the one on SDR Console V.2, great auto display setting.

A lot of these things do not seem to me server related but GUI improvements which will happen when someone has the time to program them.

I enjoy the Flex primarily because of the visual aspect, otherwise any other radio can do 85% or more of the stuff. But the display on SmartSDR... nothing like it... I paid the big bucks for that... and I feel there is so much potential that has not been tapped.....
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What was the original question?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.