Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ANF created audio distortion. No change in 1.9.7.19

Steven Hess
Steven Hess Member ✭✭
I've updated to SmartSDR 1.9.7.19 and when ANF is engaged I still hear audio distortion as in previous version. 
This just worked in PowerSDR on my Flex 3000.
Why can't it be expeditiously fixed in SmartSDR?
This is a MAJOR operating convenience of all radios in the price class of the 6000 series class.
Icom is selling a all in one SDR for much less than I paid for my 6300 ( about half as much ) and it just works there according to those I've talked too.
When is it going to work on my 6300?
I guess up regular radio users don't count to FlexRadio any more. You've got to be a Contester or DXer to get any attention from the software development team.  

Comments

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Is there no way to adjust the ANF parameters in SSDR as there is in PSDR? In PSDR SSB rx audio will sound distorted if I am too aggressive with the settings.  Usually the the default settings work okay.  What's different in SSDR? 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've noticed the fidelity of signals change slightly with ANF turned on, but I wouldn't call it distortion. 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I can't confirm distortions with ANF  - F6700, 1.9.7 works fine here
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Doesn't work on the 6300.  Distortion is there. 
    Still not fixed and still is broken as in previous releases. 
    I guess they don't test on the 6300. 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steven, may be i know solution, what is you EQ RX setting with SSB ? Pls don't set +8db for any sliders but use everywhere ex.:0 for beginning, what is result ?
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    RX Eq is disabled. So it's all 0 dB. 
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    hmmm unclear
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    This function has been broken since I can remember.
    Tim said they were looking at it in a past post on this problem.
    Apparently they haven't addressed it yet.

I can get a Icom 7300 on which it works for $1200.
    Something is wrong when FlexRadio can't get this to work on my 6300 as well as it works on my Flex 3000 and Flex 1500.

Icom is going to eat their lunch. 
    Icom has their remote operation working too. Not a future enhancement you'll have to pay for.  The only thing they don't have is the receiver Flex has. However if you can hear them you can work them. The Icom has copied just about everything FlexRadio has done.
    I know one Flex user that sold his 6500 to get a 7300. He is very happy with his purchase.    

• Bob WØVU
    Bob WØVU Member
    edited September 2016
    I've has all the high-end radio and you can't beat the receivers on the 6000 series
    radios. W0VU
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    That is true but why can't I have a working ANF that doesn't cause distortion too? The 7300 is not a high end radio. It's a $1200 radio. I've been with FlexRadio a long time. I don't like the fact that they haven't seen fit to make SSDR as functional as PowerSDR and my earlier Flex radios are with ANF. I need ANF. I've asked for a working version of it. They have made the choice to ignore what I've asked for.  I am going to keep asking. But at some point I'll sell my 6300 and Maestro and get another radio as I use this function all the time. TNF doesn't work on the Maestro. The only thing we have that might work is ANF. I get tired of the carriers from tuneruppers and LIDs. I don't want to have to use a computer just to have to manually drop a TNF on a LID. Manual intervention should not be required I have a Maestro.  I want to use it. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2016

I just tested it with two other 6000 series users. If you have the ANF on while there is no carrier present in the passband it is aggressively trying to notch everything, including voice.

Try leaving it off and then enable it while someone is talking with a carrier present. Almost no distortion at all. The ANF will lock on to the carrier and not try to notch the voice audio.

Dave wo2x

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Pinching their nose and distorted is what have been hearing and am still hearing for many versions including this one. Flex-6500.

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Dave.
    It might  as well not even work at all if this is the case. I use it to AUTOMATICALLY block carriers. That is what automatic noise blocking is. It notches a carrier out without intervention. Flex has this working perfectly in PowerSDR on the old radios. It's not fixed on the 6000 series radios yet. It's still broken. I don't want to have to manually intervene. I might as well fire up my computer and manually drop TNF notches if that is the case.  Operation of ANF in a automatic is necessary for how I use Maestro.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steven, I have different SDRs, but ic7300 can't be closely . Once you listen 7300 you can say similar.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Steven, I have different SDRs, but ic7300 can't be closely . Once you listen 7300 you can say similar.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I still get distorted audio when I turn on ANF. I guess they'll fix it someday.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are aware of the distortion issues with ANF and to a lesser degree with NR.  We have this issue in our bug tracker (#2368).  We have it tentatively scheduled to work on for the next release.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.