Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex1500 High CPU% when using KE9NS Skins?

Mick
Mick Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Third-Party Software
Good morning.

I'm running 2.7.2 Revision T7.

I have discovered that when using either of the KE9NS Spot, Plain or World Skins, my CPU% usage basically doubles, averaging around 60%  I'm using a Flex 1500 on a laptop, dual core 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM running Win7 32-bit, which normally works fine on the little Flex.

Reverting back to the Default 2012 Skin, what I would normally use, the CPU% drops back to where it was, averaging around 30%.  I appreciate that the laptop is not high-spec, but it works fine until I select one of the above skins.  At 60%, the Local Clock often stops working.

Spotter is not activated yet in the above scenario, and I would like to get the World skin working if possible.  Advice welcomed please.

Many thanks

Mick M0GWD

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    With new updates comes a compromise sometimes with computer processing power. He probably knows that he has to streamline the code to keep the cpu load down, but its not going to happen overnight. I suggest you go with the flow and allow him the time to do what he is doing. It will improve with each update.

John
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hello John

Yes I did think it might be something like that.  On my 5000, with the desktop PC having a quad-core 3HGz CPU with 12GB RAM, switching between any skins, including Darrin's, makes no difference at all to CPU usage, normally around 20%.

Perhaps my laptop is just not up to it, although it is just a skin and the only visible difference to the GUI is the map graphic?

Cheers John, all the best

Mick
    M0GWD
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ok Mick, there is a lot of background code running and it may help if you dont tick many of the boxes at the same time in the spotter window for example. Keeping that down to just what you need, may help somewhat. I am really enjoying these updates and I am thinking of taking my f1500 out portable with my touch screen laptop and a collapsible fiberglass pole. Just got to find my inverter as I have not seen it for a while now.

John
  • Jim
    Jim Member
    edited June 2016
    I also run A Flex 5000 and the computer is a Intel i5 3.2 and 16 gb ram I see know different in operation between the stock software or KE9NS software.
    Jim W4WWJ
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hello John and Jim W4WWJ - thanks for getting back to me with  the additional information.
    I'm learning as I go here, but I'm starting to think I need a more powerful laptop.

Darrin is to doing a great job and yes patience is the order of the day.

Thanks again guys and all the best from England.

Mick M0GWD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.