Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Meaning of the colors on waterfall when watching my own transmission ?

F4HPX
F4HPX Member
edited November 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
When activated I see my transmission on waterfall as well - that's great for monitoring
I was wondering if the colors from blue to red are reflecting the strength of my signal
and then why on some lower bands are quite blue/weak and higher green/yellow/orange?

Is that measure my output power? Antenna actual radiation quality ? Anything else ?

73, Thomas de F4HPX  

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thomas, to make it short: No, the signal shown when transmitting is not showing tx power or signal strength, but gives an approximate idea of the shape of your tx signal.

You'll find the official response here:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/tx-signal-on-waterfall-accurate

But you can easily measure output power, reflected power, SWR, Voltage and
    PA temperature by using FRStack and enabling the meter window.

You can download FRStack here:
    http://www.mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index

73, Alex - DH2ID
  • F4HPX
    F4HPX Member
    edited March 2016
    OK Many thanks Alex
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    THomas,
      The  signal you see in the WF during TX is the result of 'leakage' coupling ( mostly capacitance ) between the TX and RX.  There is less coupling on the low bands as compare to the upper bands and therefor the difference in color.  
    AL, K0VM
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I did not realize that Al. Thank you for that!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.