Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX TX with hardware PTT

K1DBO
K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm having trouble sending voice to my 6500 via the DAX TX channel while using a hardware PTT switch.  VOX and MOX work fine  But, the hardware PTT switch seem to only key the physically connected mics.  I can see that making sense in many cases, but it's not what I'm looking to do.  Am I missing something?  The interface to SDRCat has me thinking that I can map a hardware serial port to an SDRCat PTT port but I'm not at all sure it means what I think it means.  

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I had a similar question asking if the PC input could be keyed with a footswitch. It is actually disabled and I think DAX would be too for some reason. Tim explained it but I think it needs to be reconsidered.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The only thing you're missing is a previous recent thread that discovered the same thing.

Barry N1EU
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    As it turns out... you can use a hardware PTT to key the DAX TX channel.  It might even work to key the PC remote input as well but I didnt test that.  I just used SDRCat to map a hardware (existing) serial port on the computer as a PTT port.  Then, I put a cable together to short a couple of pins with a footswitch, yada yada, footswitch now  keys DAX TX.  

I was expecting to short pins 5 and 7 to make this happen.  Maybe I did.  But my meter seems to be telling me I'm shorting pins 7 and 8.  I'll take a closer look for crossed wires later.  But for now, everyone can rest easy knowing they can use a footswitch.

While it would be nice to use the hardware PTT inputs on the radio itself, this solution only requires a simple cable and even allows taking the footswitch to a remote computer.

Now if I could just get the footswitch to enable/disable VOX instead... but that might take external software.

...of course this was probably already mentioned in a previous post too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.