Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Incorrect Sideband

Gary - WB5ULK
Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm running SSDR 1.6.21.77 (Flex6300/Win7 Enterprise 6.1.7601 SP1, Build 7601/8G RAM/AMD AthlonII X4 620 processor), and have been for a few days.

Yesterday, I was running a SO2R_TX2 profile and had two panadapters with Slice A on 14.070 (DIGU) and Slice B on 7.260 LSB. As I was preparing for a net I noted that my audio was wonky (technical term) and looked to see if I'd bumped my FlexControl to discover that what was being displayed on Slice B was USB. After much button pushing, colorful language, and other kerfuffle, the only way to resolve this was to completely close SSDR and re-open.

Has anyone else experience this behavior?

Thanks,

Gary, WB5ULK

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Curious if the provision to switch between LSB/USB/Modes was inoperative? 

Steve K9ZW

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I selected a [many times used] profile that had 4 slices saved as DIGU and when activated the mode for two slices was USB. My reaction was the same as yours as I tried to figure out why JT-65 would not develop any output. This only happened once in many many activations of this profile. 99% of the time my profiles work perfectly.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The "flag" and "sidebar" info about the slice both said "LSB", Steve. However, in the panadapter and audio, it was definitely USB.

A puzzler from my viewpoint. 
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill, 

It didn't happen in any of the previous versions, but I have had more time in recent days to be on-the-air, so I may have just switched frequencies/bands enough times that it finally threw-up on itself from confusion. Closing SSDR completely and reopening cured it so far.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It happened today to me in 40m. I closed the slice and reopened it and that fixed it.
    Before closing the slice I couldn't switch it to LSB from USB. Not sure why it started as USB in the first place.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Here we are many months and several versions later and this still happens. 

If I'm running a "digi" session (PSK in my case; runs as USB*) and want to go to voice on either 40 or 80, it does not matter how many times I click on LSB, it is still USB. To get LSB to work, I close the receiver in that slice and re-open it, and, VOILA! I'm now on-frequency with the correct sideband. I've done this so often it's just muscle memory now.

But it should just work correctly.

Gary
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    U should be using DIGU or DIGL for digital. NOT SSB USB OR LSB
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Howard,

I was. I was unclear in my previous post, but I always use DIGI-U for PSK. From there to LSB is a button-pushing odyssey to get out of it.

Gary
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Howard,

I was. I was unclear in my previous post, but I always use DIGI-U for PSK. From there to LSB is a button-pushing odyssey to get out of it.

Gary
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I suspect that at some time you or a third-party app switched to USB and it has been saved in band persistence.

What I'd do is do a full export of your profiles.  The do a factory reset of the radio.  Start up SmartSDR but test for the proper behavior before importing your profile data.  If it works properly, then import your profiles, making certain you unselect the preferences options so you do not re-write the incorrect band persistence data  back to the radio.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It would've been likely much simpler, Tim.

I exported everything and imported everything, and as expected, it was all the same. I "removed" the Memories I had for the LSB entries on 80 and 40 and "added" them after they were properly configured in the slices, and they work just fine now. 

Why I did NOT think to do that earlier is a mystery buried somewhere deep in my knucklehead.

Today, I re-enact my lead role as "Lid Extraordinaire".

Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter...

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Are you doing 2 matinees on Saturday?

Seriously, I am glad you were able to find a solution.  All's well that ends well.
  • Gary - WB5ULK
    Gary - WB5ULK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I guess I just got accustomed to do it manually and just didn't consider removing a "memory" entry which appeared okay and saving it fresh.

Lesson learned. Dislike those "bits" which are unseen...
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Glad I found this thread. I was on 20 meters running around with some CW and RTTY and decided to work some SSB. Very rare for me to use voice so I'm always questioning myself. This time... the filter showed to the right of the yellow line as usual for USB but when I started talking, the spectrum was showing to the left of the yellow line. As suggested above by Salvador, I closed the slice and re-opened it and all was back to normal.

Really had me questioning reality, and for me, that's not a good thing.

Kev K4VD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.