Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HRD DM-780 Not Waterfall Not talking Back To Flex 6300

JB
JB Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Using SmartSDR V1.6.21, DDUTIL 3.2.2.05 and HRD DM-780 V6.3.0.478. Also tried using latest version of Mini-Deluxe (made sure that DDUTI was not running).

Everything works as it should including the CAT server connecting, the HRD server works and connects to DM-780 and the Logbook. A change on Panadapter frequency reflects in DM-780 and the Logbook. PTT works with a serial port set up in SmartCAT.

What does not work:
- Clicking on traces in the DM-780 waterfall does not change the frequency of the 6300
- Clicking on traces in the DM-780 waterfall does not change the frequency in the DM-780 QSO area either

Also tried earlier version of DM-780 - same result
DDUTIL - same
Mini-Deluxe - same

I also tried running the full HRD program - I can control all functions of the radio from the console program. HRD follows changes made in SmartSDR and visa-versa.

Running W7 64 OS. All wasworking before the change to SmartCAT.

Possibilities:
- The HRD server is not passing commands from DM-780 waterfall to the radio - even though the radio configuration buttons are mapped (except for the TX button which is using the direct COM PTT anyway)

- I am doing something wrong in SmartCAT even though the there is a Com Port ((and it's return) example Com 6 and 106).

I've tried all the permutations I can think of. The HRD folks are offline until Tuesday.

Jon

Answers

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Has ddutil ever worked? I belive when you set ddutil up for the first time to work with hrd it says something about making sure hrd rig control is not running? Check the ddutil site for details
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Yes, DDUTIL did work previous to the SmartCAT change.

Thanks David
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jon, set you slice profile to 5100 Hz bandwidth, DIGU, don't forget to click DAX to 1,
    highlight DAX. It's all in here:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/setting-up-ham-radio-deluxe-with-smartsdr-tutorial

Alex - DH2ID

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Alex, thank you.

I can decode and transmit fine. The issue is with choosing a trace on the DM-780 waterfall and having the radio track the change.

Jon
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Again, just to clarify. I have been using Flex 6300, DM-780 and DDUTIL for 24+ months. This has occurred only since the update to the new SmartCat system.

Please keep suggestions coming.

Jon
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Jon, by chance did your update create a port conflict? Check ports in device manager to be sure SSDR or computer did not decide to help you
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Bob - no hidden or ghost ports. Everything talks back to the radio except for changes as I click in the waterfall.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Additional info: I set-up a **** install of SmartSDR, DAX, CAT - all V1.6.21 and Mini Deluxe as well as HRD V6.3.0.478. All behaves as above.

When clicking on a PSK31 trace on the DM-780 waterfall it does not pass the info to the radio nor to the QSO box.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jon,   to come back has 6.3.0.472 his/her/its functions with 1.6.21, without DDutil,  
    6.3.0478 don't function   
    remain problem of communication too nit in hrd logbook and cluster, blockage of the waterfall,  
    fldigi functions much better     

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ohhhkayyy Jon, now I've got it !!!

You want the radio to track your moves on the DM780 waterfall!
    No, that won't work, as DM780 is not primarily a radio control program,
    but shows your slice width (max 3900Hz) as a waterfall display.
    And why would you want to change frequency from within DM780?
    You can't transmit outside your slice anyway, or you would have to go
    split, which I don't use, I use RIT/XIT instead)

If you want the radio to change frequency, you have
    to use the little arrows to the right of the frequency display:

The other way round it works: DM780 will follow your frequency changes
    in SmartSDR.

Alex DH2ID
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

As many have before me, I do solemnly apologize for my "short circuit" between the seat of my chair and my ears.

I had been off the radio for a month or more, returned and updated SmartSDR and then HRD/DM-780, was able to get SmartCAT and DAX operating correctly and was very proud of myself.

THEN, I tried testing out PSK31 on DM-780 and POOF; the magic smoke must have floated out of my ears.

It seemed to me that pouncing on traces in the DM-780 waterfall changed the frequency listing in the QSO area for transfer to the logbook. Then I noticed no change on the frequency in SmartSDR.

Funny thing is - all was working correctly - as I am told by a myriad of Flexers and HRD Tech Support.

Just goes to show you, that when you use logic but your premise is false you can dig deeply, hunt for a solution and spend much energy for naught.

Or, I can explain the whole mishmash away and take no blame at all by stating that I was so wrapped up in Valentine’s Day that I lost my head and heart to my XYL :-)

Thanks to all for your help in my time of need. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.