Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I put a 'dustcatcher' on my 6500?

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited October 2016 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

As my 6500 does not have any vents on the TOP of it's case, can I safely put a 'dust catcher' on it. The rig sits on a custom built desktop. Above the desk proper is a custom built wrap around shelf for the monitors.

So even though there is a shelf 5 inches above the rig there is always some dust that finds it's way to land on the shiny black metal.

So can I safely put a soft cloth 'dustcatcher' on top of the radio? It does NOT wrap down on the sides so it will NOT interfere with air flow as best I can see.

I know the fans **** a lot of air into the radio, as on the front of the rig, the round dial that fits in the front panel actually sucks dust though that slight gap in the metal and the 4 buttons.

I see a slight buildup of grey from 3 o'clock to 11 o'clock. I use a can of dustoff to clean that out. I'm sure it doesn't effect the interior air floor but it does look a tad unsightly.

My wife had a old but soft hand towel just the right size to cove the top panel.

just want to make sure that towel won't hold in any heat. As the top panel is slightly textured it seemed to attract dust.

So what's your opinion, and does anyone have a better idea?

Answers

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Mine is rack mounted in the closet behind my operating desk.  It has never gotten warm.  If I had your question, I'd put a sheet of microfibre towel on it, then REVISIT it the next morning to feel the temperature.  If okay, I'd revisit after transmitting for a while, and feel it again.  That should address the issue.

But I really don't worry about dust ON TOP as one quick wipe of a microfibre towel takes all the dust off anyway.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.