Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio noise

Hi all, Just bought me a second hand Flex1500. With the Flex handmike i set up the audio close to 0db on the mic meter. When i do so i get some -20db noise on the signal, that can also be heard on HF. With no mike connected the noise stays there. Only muting all inputs gets rid of the noise. Tried this also with a MD100, same result. Is this a fault or am i doing something wrong? Flex 1500, PSDR272.

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just a thought , is the rig overly hot  on top to the touch ? You could have a problem with the audio chip.
  • Dick Rademaker
    edited December 2015
    No, just roomtemp.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    did you set up the tx audio as per the full instructions at below link. Until you do this, the audio will sound very bad to others on the air.
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118248-TX-Audio-Setup-Procedure-by-W1AEX-Rob
  • Dick Rademaker
    edited December 2015
    I tried several procedures, also this one. Just starting here, mike at 35, mixer at 0 gives me -10db noise on the mic meter. While talking the meter goes only 1 or 2 db up.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You created your own mic connection? Because it sounds like you are sending voltage to the mic line.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • Dick Rademaker
    edited December 2015
    The noise is the same with the origional flex mike or with no mike at all.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Now, just a thought, The mic could well be faulty. If you followed the proceedure did you make sure that the mic gain was set to 35 first, then make sure the dx button is off as also the cpdr, vox and dexp. I found that on my f3k, and f1500, I had to enable the equaliser to 10 band and then max out the 1k,2k, and 4k controls. Then I followed the proceedure  by selecting the mic  under the tx meter, then drop the mixer menu and follow instructions. Some rigs and or mic's need more treble.
    Hope this helps. Can you attach an image showing what you get ? We may be beating about the bush here so if you could show us with some pics as to what the problem is....
  • Dick Rademaker
    edited December 2015
    Tried that. Started from scratch with everything off. Even without a mike attached the noise stays.
    I followed all the instructions, starting with the mic stage and then on to eq, leveler and so on.
    Whenever i raise the level in a stage, the noise comes up too. I'll try some more tomorrow. Maybe a good night sleep will help.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    you could try a factory reset and failing that, make sure you have nothing else connected to your computer / Lapttop, bar the 1500 and ext speakers. I had latency issues with a security webcam running at the same time. Have you checked for latency on your pc ?
    Have a good evening.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There is always some residual internally-generated noise that shows up on the panadapter, especially when using the DX processor settings. The main question is ...What is the signal to noise ratio between the residual noise and your voice peaks? The panadapter magnifies this and makes it look like a significant amount because it can show a wide range of signal strengths.

One way to eliminate this is to use the Downward Expander, which is like a noise gate. Adjust it until the noise drops. It is also great for eliminating background shack/fan/kid noise...

That's may be your problem, which is actually not a problem. But if there is not much signal to noise difference, then you may need to trace down a noise source...

Ken - NM9P
  • Doug Rowe
    Doug Rowe Member
    edited January 2016
    HI **** I had this problem I found in the set up go to transmit tab and un check the mike boost
    box and also I set the mike gain down to 10 on the main screen I also tailored the TX equalizer.Maybe this will be of some help.

Doug VK3AWO
  • Dick Rademaker
    edited January 2016
    Hi Doug,

That at least helped. I have the main gain down to 10 and the mixer up to the 0db level, that gives about 20db SNR. Much better!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.