Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hot Switching

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have been having problem with Hot Switching my amp ( ACOM) for last month or so. Problem appears to be related to using pin 4 of 15 pin connector ONLY. If I use CWX, I don't have a issue until well over 60 wpm. Also if I use my WinKeyer and utilize front panel key input I have no problem. When ever I use pin 4 of 15 pin connector I have a RANDOM hot switching issue. Is there something about using pin 4 input I missed in manual?

Another issue is I DON'T think TX REQUEST INPUT (INTERLOCK) works, anyone know for SURE this works in version 1.5.1.152 ?, 

I DON'T have issues between amp and other rigs. :)

73's
Lew
N4CO

Answers

• Greg Johnson
    Greg Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    This has been a problem for me and my Acom also. Another reason the flex is not my go to rig. I can run a bug, a straight key and a paddle with the other rigs in the shack. I have used the lock and request features, but nothing helps at this time. I would enjoy a fix for this as well. Greg ni8r
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Greg, as I stated it appears to be okay when I'm NOT using pin 4. ( I can't copy code at 60 wpm ) However, with a QSK amp like ACOM if TX REQUEST INPUT is working one should never hot switch.

FWIW: I NEVER had any issues between ACOM and K3. :)

Lew
    N4CO
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lew, I have an ACOM 1000 and I don't have any problems at all. You mention using "pin 4" of the 15 pin connector. Is this how you key your amp? I just use an RCA cable from the TX out on my 6500, connected to my ACOM 1000. I'm sure I'm missing something.
  • elan
    elan Member
    edited February 2018
    did you put a delay  let say 10ms as Acom advise me ?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I did but no help with using rear cw input, something is not working as I think it should.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Maybe the delay settings work with the TX connectors, but have no effect with pin 4.

Ned,  K1NJ

• elan
    elan Member
    edited December 2016
    Why you use pin 4 if I may ask
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Keeps front of rig open and clean, plus easy place to connect hand key.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Which flex you using, I know on the 6300 some pins are different then on the 6500 and 6700 .....
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Lew,

I'm not saying you don't have an issue but I can report that I use an Alpha 9500 and Acom 2000a on a Flex 6700 (SO2R), key from the rear HD15 connector, and use a WinKeyer without any hot switching issues with zero delay. Just a data point for you.

Vy 73,

Mack
    W4AX
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Curious - Does your WinKeyer exercise the PTT as well as the keying signal?  If so there may be a slight delay there.

I neither have an Alpha nor a WinKeyer - Just raising the question.

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am not using a PTT output on the WinKeyer. The new alpha software has a feature that may help you. Let me know if that solves your issue when it is released.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just to follow up, I don't use PTT with cw, Adding delay and using pin 4 results in a hot switching condition. Using front panel input and adding 10 ms of delay appears to work, however it would be nice to not have those cables hanging off front panel of rig :).

Also, NO ONE has confirmed if TX REQUEST functions in current version of Smart SDR, functions. How about a yes/no we're working on it, changed our mind about it from Flex ? Seems like a simple question to answer.

Lew
    N4CO

• rich
    rich Member
    edited March 2016

I have the exact same setup.  The FLEX delay on the keying default was something like 40 ms.  I increased this to 150 and the problem permanently went away.  Apparently, the ACOM needs a bit more time or you get a HOT SWITCHING ERROR.  GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Identical setup here with no issues ON a 6300 and Acom 1000. No delays set. RCA M-M cable. However there is one difference, I Don't do QSK.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.