Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300, 7 weeks old, SSDR v1.5.1, Dirty transmit all modes on cold start, fine on re-start

Options
Douglas Maxwell
Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
Why when engineering say they have found a fix for this "firmware startup temperature related interface calibration bug" don't we get a SSDR v1.5.x release instead of v1.6 minor release with a whole load of other unassociated contesting related functionality? There seems to be an unacceptable delay (>4 weeks) in getting this known firmware fix to the customer. A firmware interface timing related bug in a product should be top priority and an easy fix for any competent firmware engineer. The way in which this fix is being delayed by waiting for other functionality shows not only poor customer service, but poor engineering practice as no doubt more faults will be introduced. The issue here is massive, if a timing constraint is missing or maladjusted in the firmware, it presents a ticking temperature related timebomb where each time you alter the firmware you roll the dice as to whether several hundred of your products in the field will stop working. This is currently where the 6300 firmware development is. The question to the 6300 customer is (and to quote dirty Harry) "do you feel lucky punk?". Instead let's force Flex to take a breath and stabilise the basics like interface timing before moving on.

Answers

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Perhaps because the intermediate fix is to simply leave the radio powered up 24-7 after the restart.  The only thing that ever gets turned off in my shack are the lights when I go to bed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    We are talking about a very complicated radio in the Flex. there is not anyone on this board that knows as much about it as they do, nothing is done without good reason. As far as customer support it is next to non and a bar for all the industry.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No I don't accept this temporary fix. I don't think that expecting to be able to turn the radio off at night and for it to work on first power up in the morning is unreasonable. Further than that, the radio does not inform the user that calibration has failed and spurious broadband qrm is evident on SSDR. This is as serious as faults get and other spectrum users should not have to put up with it. Flexradio's reputation is in the balance here and I'm not sure they are taking this seriously enough.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This is not my experience. Everyone that has SSDR v1.5.1 in a 6300 is a potential QRM generator. The correct action would be to make a general announcement of failure and advise users of corrective action. To my knowledge this has not been done for v1.5.1.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Flexradio's reputation is in the balance here and I'm not sure they are taking this seriously enough……

Perhaps for you and quite the overly broad statement. My 6.3 tx has been rock solid, clean and reliable. Zero issues. Would I be disappointed if it were not. Why sure but zero reason to over react and hyperventilate. Like others, I think FRS cares substantially about the quality of their product and to suggest otherwise is irresponsible. If I had to leave my rig on or press a button more than once as a temporary fix while waiting for a quality permanent solution, I think I could manage. Looking forward to contest focused v1.6, but would even possibly consider postponing that till v1.7 but am tired of squeaky wheels always getting the grease in life.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The reputation of Flex is already very solid, I don't believe this problem with the 6300 is going to make or break them, they know what it is and have been making changes in the code. Writing this code is very complicated. This is the reason very few can do it. Most people who have followed Flex knows how they do things. Each part of the code they change effects other things, I expect that is the reason for not doing a minor release and finishing this upcoming release with all they have planed for it.  Then there is testing to do. Being a Flex owner one can not rush things, just wait till releases come out.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As somebody who is also experiencing this issue, I found the easiest solution was to downgrade to 1.4 until the problem with 1.5x is fixed. From previous posts I understand that Douglas was advised not to do that by FRS (not sure why). It is a bit of a pain as I did find the full-duplex and RTTY options quite useful and I have also got a fairly useless ThumbDV but I am happy to wait (not too long though) as everything else still works fine with 1.4.

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is someone saying Flex has poor customer service?
    Are they serious?
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have to agree with the poster of this topic.  Although I think many functions can be held off to a major release, I believe when there are bugs that have an impact on fundamental function, safety or reliability, a minor point release is needed.

I dont think anyone disputes the excellent customers service or the complexity of the product but they are the manufacturer of the product so complexity is relative and good customer service is all a matter of perspective.  In this instance I think Flex should be more vigilant in dealing with this specific issue.   
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    And with that I believe all that could be said, has been said. Doug, if you haven't already, give FRS a call and discuss your concerns.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Depends what the minor release is and what it effects. If this is something that other parts of the code rely on than a point release may set them back several more weeks. Customer service in the past has always been first rate. I tend to believe if it must wait till the next big release then there must be very good reasons for it. That's all I will comment on this, I don't have the inside scoop. Interesting to note, it's always the same few guys taking Flex to task even knowing a problem is being worked on.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Douglas,

I entirely disagree with your observations. As an F6300 owner who does in fact suffer from this bug my level of concern is 0.1 out of 10.  Yes I know it will get fixed, yes I could downgrade to previous release in the meantime, yes I could just hit reset and try again.  All of these are reasonable temporary fixes in the short term.

Any good engineer would not issue a firmware fix as a **** kneejerk reaction for such a minor bug. I have every confidence that it will get sorted soon, so why all the fuss?

ps. did you not appreciate that the Flex F6 family is a constant "work-in-progress" and will be in a state of flux for some time whilst they are pushing the boundaries of what's possible?  I have to ask why you purchased one?   If in doubt downgrade it to legacy radio with its very limited functions.

Steve G1XOW

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Simple fix.. first I had a 6300 and has ZERO issues after the 1.5.1 version came out, however to fix the issue simply revert/downgrade back to the 1.4.16 version and wait... With any SDR (SOFTWARE defined radio) you are going to come across bugs from time to time, even the almighty Microsoft, apple, linux, HPUX, etc have bugs.. hence the reason they have "patches" on a fairly regular basis..

Good Luck
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not only patches on a regular basis but 'hotfixes' for urgent matters. I am not in a position to say how urgent the OP's issue is.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It appears to be that time when Tim should intervene and close this thread to further...um, comments.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What again? My case has been closed twice so far by FRS. Me.... I'm still sitting here with a 6300 that has a temperature related bug in the firmware and a promise that it is going to be fixed at some convienient unknown point in the future. In my book that's poor customer service.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have no faith in any firmware version produced so far. The fact that one version is more stable than another is down to pure luck during the firmware build process. This is why Flex must concentrate more on constraining their firmware design and interpreting the timing analysis results than adding more functionality.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Doug... I have made the same complaint on this board for the exact issue your dealing with.  However the "Fan Boys" are here in droves.  Any complaint against flex will come with swift and harsh, and some times, ridiculous criticisms by a small few - even those few are good guys at heart.

I have been officially informed as part of MY case that it is fixed in the upcoming version 1.6.   I can say Flex communication is very good none the less.

However, I agree with your point that this specific issue because of its nature should be giving a higher priority with a one off fix - JUST for this issue.  All other issues I have are not consistent enough nor do they impact my ability to use the products fundementals as intended.  I am NOT looking forward to all the other rumored enhancements that are coming.  My only must have is having a rig that works in a consistent manner.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Apparent broadband emissions from the 6300 is not a minor bug in my book, YMMV. Lots of people non the wiser using linear amplifiers causing mayhem especially on data modes where its harder to detect. No indication to the user that something is wrong.... Yep really serious and a good reason for concern.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My friend also has a 6300 using v1.5.1 with zero issues. This is the most worrying part for me, the interface in question is obviously on a timing knife edge at around room temperatures. My take on this is that dependent on your hardware's PVT corners (component batch dependent) the 6300 will either cold start properly or not. The fact that this issue comes and goes from firmware version to version means the firmware isn't constrained properly. Let's hope this is nailed now and doesn't disappear through adding new features and implementation luck only to come back at a later date after more development.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks to the OP for voicing his concerns and thanks to Steve for a sincere and open response.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I second that, with the following observation. What I find is incredibly unhelpful is the, "swift and harsh" response from those people who's only intent is to shout down the person who opened the thread. Such reaction general adds no value and served no purpose but to inflame an already inflamed situation. The net of this being both the author and FRS are put on the defensive. This not only does the author a disservice but results in a huge disservice to the mgmt of FRS. These food fights serve no purpose but potentially turn off prospective customers. Bullying the op with the problem doesn't solve the problem, it makes a bigger problem.
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    First of all thanks for taking the time to personally respond to the OP. The first hole in your process starts with closing logged issues before the fix has been released. You may be confident you have fixed the issue, but please allow time for the customer to see the fix before closing their issue. The second hole in your process was not informing me of a known "good" firmware version to down grade to, instead of just informing me it would be fixed. The third hole in your process is consideration to other spectrum users. Can you qualify to other spectrum users why your company feels it efficient to hold a known cure to tx qrm in your 6300 products while waiting for your other developments? The above comments are for your company and to do with what they see fit. They are meant in a truthfull and positive manner that is hard to express in discussion posts. As you will know from my case history this isn't the only issue I've had with my 6300 and explains the added frustration with this product.... more than the "fanboys" will know. I hope that my reports and pictures to your engineers show I mean well. I am overjoyed that you may have found this issue and look forward to being able to use the 6300 with a degree of confidence.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bob...  you have not properly grasped the gist of the conversation and have added no value with that comment.  Please keep watching the blinking light on your computer.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

It is worth pointing out the community (and Doug) knew of FRS workaround weeks ago:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/bad-transmit-signal

Steve K9ZW

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rick is electricity free where you live?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bob the term you used for the people of Japan is derogatory. WWII ended in 1945

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.