Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmit frequency response not flat in DIGU

Richard Berry
Richard Berry Member
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My output power varies from 20W to 30W between audio frequency of 200 and 2400 in DIGU mode running PSK31.  It is lower in the midrange frequencies between 1000 and 2000.  I verified that the TX equalizer is not used in digital modes ... got exactly same results with EQ OFF.  Anyone know why it's not flat and if there is any correction capability?  

Answers

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think that is fairly normal behavior. The pitch of the digital signals varies in frequency and that causes rises and falls in power out. As you get to the edges it will generally decrease with all sound card type modes

Mike
    N9DFD
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    If the power increases with frequency sounds like the reactance of a coupling capacitor goes down as frequency increases.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Check the transmit band pass - not the EQ. It's in the PHNE tab on the SSDR display. Check the low cut and high cut values,
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Are they used in dig[u|l]? I thought all that stuff was ignored when in dig mode.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bandpass is used, but not the EQ or processor.

One thing I didn't suggest earlier is that the sound card may have some EQ in it. Check Windows settings and remove all "enhancements," too.
  • Richard Berry
    Richard Berry Member
    edited October 2015
    SmartSDR says the TX EQ is not used in the digital modes but I tried it just to make sure, and it made no difference.  The TX bandpass is 100-2900.  Strangely, the dip in power is through the midrange frequencies, right where you would typically operate.  I'm not going to worry about it anymore, got more pressing issues at the moment.  

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One easy thought, watch the DAX level indicator when sweeping the frequencies to see that the input to the radio is flat.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    George,

What should one set TX band pass for using the DIGU Mode?   (low:0   High:5000)
    Say for JT65/JT9 with a Rx bandwidth of 5000.... 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    0-4000 as rtty starts 4KC above the JT digital subband
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Cal, I think the best answer is, "it depends." In a DAX or wideband sound card environment, WSJT can handle 4-5 kHz easily. If you need/want to tune that wide, it's kind of neat. I often look at 5 kHz. Not all apps support that width, so a narrower setting may be in order with them. Either way, it helps if there is not a crazy loud signal in the passband while you're trying to decode a weak one. Usually, good adjustment of the AGC-T prevents swamping, but having the offending signal out past the brick wall is always nice.
  • Richard Berry
    Richard Berry Member
    edited October 2015
    Bill, good idea to watch the DAX level, so I did and it remains fairly constant while power varies from 40W in low range 400-1000 Hz and drops to 30W from 1000 Hz on up.  But, power is very sensitive to small changes on the DAX slider so perhaps it's not as constant as it appears.  Anyway, I'll live with it.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.