Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DIGU/DIGL offsets in 1.5 with Fldigi

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
I am really confused by these.

In the past, working digital modes, I would tune (point and click) a signal in FLDigi and that program would take care of the filtering and freq readout AIUI. I cannot understand that this new feature brings to the table. I thought that the digital program took care of all the filtering and IIRC I was once advised that narrowing the filter passband in SSDR for digital modes was not a good thing.

Do there need to be any changes made to FLDigi to work this way?

Be kind in the reply, I have not been on the air for months due to ill health. I'm just trying to keep up to speed with developments.

Answers

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A big, big thanks to Neal Campbell for answering this off the Yahoo SSDR/Flex group. He said "For fldigi-style rtty, you need to ignore the RTTY mode and stay with DIGI-U. Then everything stays the same. RTTY is using with programs that are written to look at small bandwidth of audio (I think you can operate MMTTY with a 150 hz bandpass if you desire, which fldigi uses a 3Khz window  to let you click your way around it".

I have further imposed on his goodwill by asking for a similar clarification about the digi mode offsets on p114 of the SSDR manual.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy, look at the postings concerning fldig and the modification you
    should apply to the SmartSDR slice A/B xml files. With these mods
    fldigi works fine in RTTY mode.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks to Bob (aka.N7ZO) for posting the updates.  I was able to add them into the XML files, figured out the "Sweet spot" (2205 ??) and worked the CQWW DX RTTY contest this weekend.  

It was wall to wall stations during certain times and bands.  With the RTTY filter set to 250, no problem.  I did have a bit of trouble with one station that was overlapped with another in their M/S frequencies.  Can't expect to copy when two stations are overlapped though.  

With the new RTTY setup it was easy to switch filter bandwidths as well as coarse tuning the frequency.  It's really interesting / amazing to watch FlDigi on the built in o'scope slowly fine tune a RTTY station and then one hits QSY and your dead on. I could mention the old days with LC filters and an Eico 753 but better forgotten.

_..--
    k3Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.