Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR: 1.5 New Features Q1: RTTY Q2: FDX

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
A two fer....

1.5 is looking pretty good.

A question off the deep end.
Setting mode to RTTY and trying to decode the NavTex broadcasts, FlDigi won't lock (AFC ON) to the signal.  Switching tje 6500 mode to DIGU, it locks right up and prints.  Tried to copy Pt. Reyes station at 8.415Mc but can't with RTTY mode.  The 170cy shift looks okay but suspect the M/S frequencies are swapped.

Q2:  With FDX can one monitor their own Xmit signal (being careful to attenuate properly) and do 2-tone tests for example?

_..--
k3Tim

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Q1:  RTTY is LSB.  If you are using FLdigi with RTTY Flex mode and RTTY mode in FLdigi, you must click the "Rv" button in FLdigi (it's in the bottom right corner).   FLdigi expects USB.

Q2:  Unsure, but there is a good worksheet on determining proper isolation.  http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-fdx-power-calcualtion-worksheet-pdf/
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Was using the RTTY mode with MMTTY in its standard default tone mode to copy some 30 meter RTTY stations - worked great.  I have never used FLDigi for RTTY so I cannot speak to that program.

Will find out how well the RTTY mode is for sure this weekend with CQ WW RTTY.

Cheers
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    ... from FLDIGI user manual:

You must operate your transceiver in the USB mode for the fldigi RTTY signal to be the correct polarity. If your transceiver is set to LSB then use the fldigi "Rev" button to reverse the sense of the mark and space signals. 
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thats what I already said!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think his point was to quote the manual in case further reference was required.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    RTTY:
    Thanks guys for the help about FlDigi and RTTY mode.  I believe that solves the Navtex mystery.  The Pt. Reyes station was sending only syncs this morning, but it looks like the signal was locked properly.  The Rv button did the trick.

FDX:
    It took a bit to find the FDX button (lower left hand side or main menu).  The manual just says enable the mode but doesn't show where it is located.  Now that I know....

I tried 1 W RF output and separate antennas with the Rcv A antenna disconnected.  Hence isolation should have been good.  One could hear the tones FlDigi was sending and observe the signal in the waterfall on the FDX slice.

It looks very promising to test the transmitter by dumping the RF into a dummy load and use a 2-tone IMD test via the 2nd (FDX) slice.  The I/Q channel of the receiving slice should be usable for this and have sufficient resolution.  Pure conjecture but so far can't see any show stoppers.

The above notwithstanding, the Xmit slice displays the transmit signal very well.  I'd turned off "waterfall in Xmt" but switched it back on for this test.  This seems to be improved in the new code drop.  Will now leave this feature enabled.

Next step is to find a 2T software audio generator and shove some audio from the PC to the 6500. 

Thanks for the help with these two questions!

_..--
    k3Tim
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Many thanks for the link Chris as my google searches were somewhat unproductive.

Best Regards,

Tim

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Please let me know if you find one Tim, as I as also looking for a software two tone generator . Wins ton VK7WH
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh, I now see the post above. Thanks Chris
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The more direct link is:
    http://dl6iak.etonlein.de/projects/projects.htm

Again, thanks Chris of the link.

It looks like one can use the 2nd receiver to check the transmitter output via the 2T.  Don't make the mistake I did and forget to turn off compression / processor or the results are "messy".  Check it out:

The lower is the Xmtr, upper the FDX receiver.

One could capture the I/Q output of the slice and save for later analysis / record keeping.
    Lot's of fun.  
    With FDX capability one has to wonder how far predistortion can be. :-)

_..--
    k3Tim

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim,

-34 dB from the individual tones or -40 dB from PEP.  Not bad.  What, exactly was your signal loop?

73, Bob, N7ZO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.