Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDUtil with Array Solns. Powermaster and Bandmaster

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
I have an Array Solutions Powermaster and a Bandmaster, both are to check my 6700.
I am looking for advice as to how to get them to work with DDUTIL, (which I use to control the ACOM 2KA) 
I have the Bandmaster feeding an Array Solutions  2X8 antenna switch, I would like to have the Bandmaster automatically change the antenna depending on the band in use, unfortunately so far I cannot get it to work with DDUTIL, so ideas please. Also so far I cannot get DDUTIL to see the Powermaser as well.
So advice please.

Best wishes to all.
Ross
ZL1WN

Answers

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Ross
    I have an array solutions Powermaster, the first one, connected to ddutil and my 6500.  Connected via serial port to pc via a usb to serial converter on port 62.  On ddutil, under WattMtrs tab, enable powermaster, the port and I have 38400 baud. (you can change the baud rate of the meter from the menu button on the meter, but mine is selected for 38400)   Enter in the trim, that should be marked on the coupler.  I think thats all I did, to have power and swr displayed on ddutil.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Wayne
    VK4ACN
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Wayne,
    That is exactly what I have tried, but DDTIL does not like any of the comports I have tried.
    How did you get to com-port 62?
    Regards  Ross

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Im using a usb to 4 serial port converter, and i changed the ports on them in device manager to 60 numbers so they wouldnt conflict with other ports.  Do you know what serial port you have it plugged in, or are you using a usb-serial converter?
  • Glenn
    Glenn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Likewise, I am unable to get DDUtil to work with "real" COM ports either.   Have tried about every combination/permutation possible with baud rates and parity, but nada.

It sure would be nice if SmartCAT would be able to control/access traditional COM ports for station automation!

Glenn W0GJ
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Wayne,
    How did you get DDUTIL to see COM 60,? all I can see are the few virtual ports that SmartSDR CAT made.  And DDUTIL doesn't like those ports.
    Regards
    Ross
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have never had a problem with DDUtil and "real" serial ports. By real, I mean an rs232 port usually on a PCIe board or PCI in older machines. Where you can get into trouble is with USB converters.

The simple way to test serial ports is to loop pins 2 and 3 and then open a terminal program set to that port and see if when you type in the terminal your characters are echoed on the screen. Newer versions of Windows don't have a terminal program but you can download PuTTY here as a simple program to use. 

Jon...kf2e
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ross
    Im not sure if you are using real com ports or a usb>serial converter.  I have both but am using the powermaster on a usb>serial converter. 
    Have a look at this link

http://wa8lmf.net/ham/USB-Serial-Dongles.htm

I bough one from Amazon and it works perfectly.  It uses the ftdi chip not the prolific which
    has problems.

http://www.amazon.com/GearMo%C2%AE-36inch-Windows-Certified-Drivers/dp/B004ETDC8K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8...

Cheers
    Wayne

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    My PowerMaster II meter only needed a usb-mini-usb adapter cable. Win10 uses the FTDI driver for the meters internal FTDI usb-serial chip. The older version I models didn't have USB built-in. The new ones do.

73, Jay - NO5J  
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ross
    Im not computer savvy, but Ill try to help

Plug the powermaster serial port into you pc serial port..  Go to Device Manager>Ports

My powermaster is on COM62 using the usb converter.
    Click on properties of this port. 

Im using 38400 baud.
    Click on advanced

Here is where you can change the port number.   Ive kept them high, away from the usual low number ports.  Some programs I use wont go high, so ive kept a few of the serial ports low numbers.

Exit out of this.

Go to your powermaster, press menu until you get to the baud rate.  If its not on 38400 press mode button, to scroll through to 38400.  You could use any I guess but they have to match the com port.  Restart ddutil,  see if the port is there on the setup page for watt meters.

Enter the trim on the front of your powermaster coupler. 

See if that works. 

Cheers
    Wayne
    Hope ive been clear and not too confusing, but maybe youve done this already
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay, I have the original powermaster I bought at Dayton in 2009, I didnt know the  new one has the usb, which would make life a little easier.  Planning trip to dayton, next year, so Ill check this out.
    Wayne
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks all for the comments,
    I am using all my real com-ports 1 and 3,  for the M2 2800 azimmuth controller, and to the ACOM 2KA, so I am left with only USB ports.
    Wayne, DDUTIL will only see the ports that CAT made, and the real port 1,3.
    It sees 1,3,4,6,7,8,9. 14,16,17,18,19. it wont accept any other ports such as the 2 USB-serial ports on 24 and 60.
    And yes I have the latest Powermaster II with the FDTI chip, but so far no luck there either.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Did you try to run the powermaster software?

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Downloads/PM_Software/PMBasic2_2.0.0.7.zip

I didnt realise you had the new one with the usb port

What port is the power master on, in device manager?

Also make sure your not running the powermaster app at the same time. 
    Close off the app if you are.

Cheers
    Wayne

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.