Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR Cat...should it start at boot up?

Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
i7 with Win 8.1Pro....when I start my PC should I expect SSDR Cat to start automatically...even before I open SSDR? Right now I start SSDR and then start SSDRCat.....is their a box I haven't checked in SSDR?  I checked the task manager and don't see Cat running at startup....
Thanks...73
Steve

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    <windows Run Key>  R   --> msconfig  -->  startup  --> CAT in list?

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    yes CAT is in the startup list......problem is it doesn't show as running in processes or details list of Task Manager...under startup I checked the path to Cat.exe and it's correct. It starts just fine if I click the link I've pinned to the task bar.....anyone have an idea what may be going on?
    Thanks

• KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Running 8.1 Pro.
    I have the same problem with this release. I had that problem a few releases ago also. 
    I just figure they will get to it. Once I to manually start it, it runs fine.

Dan
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited June 2020
    I think there is a "service dependency" issue whereby on some PCs, CAT will try to start before the Virtual Serial Port Kit service, then fail. The workaround is start CAT manually.

If that fails go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and manually start Virtual Port Kit service, then try to start CAT.

This is apparently a timing dependent issue and it happens on some PCs and not others.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If what KQ1Q says is true, this is a bug in the service installation.  The can be fixed by adding the right "DependOnService" directive to the Registry for CAT, which will ensure that VSP will alway start before CAT.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I've deleted and reinstalled SSDR twice......situation is NOT improving....i7 and Win 8.1 pro....start radio, then start ssdr.....Cat does not auto start and DAX control icon does nor show up in icon box, lower right corner by clock....Cat and Dax Control show when I click customize and yes I have "show notification & icon" checked.....radio works but I can't access DAX Control......spent 4 to 5 hours on this today but no luck......any help would really be appreciated...
    Steve
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK so this just worked......

start SSDR 1.4.16.142
    then turn on radio
    hit connect...everything starts up
    DAX control icon shows up on task bar (lower right)
    start SSDR Cat manually

is this the process everyone else is following???

are there different ways to gain access to the DAX Control Panel....

however, now.....if I Exit SSDR
    then manually close SSDR Cat
    then manually exit DAX Control from task bar.....
    OK so everything is now off....
    but radio is still on.....

restart SSDR while radio is still on
    cat doesn't start nor does dax control
    I can manually restart CAT  but how can I start DAX Control?

is this the way it should operate????  seems to me as if something is wrong!

any help really appreciated...

Steve

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    start SSDR Cat manually

is this the process everyone else is following???
    Absolutely not, no.  I definitely do not have to start CAT manually in order to be able to use CAT commands with the radio.

My sequence, if it's of any help, is:

- Start radio, wait for it to become "ready"
    - Start SSDR
    - Play radio, using DAX and CAT

Seriously.  Running Windows 8.1, 64-bit...

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Peter....

I just tried to repeat the process that appeared to work moments ago (start software first),

sad to say this time it didn't work.....Dax Control did not start.....

anybody!!!  please.....need help or ideas...

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OK next episode.....I use Google Drive...on it I keep radio installation folders, included is Flex SSDR installer program......

I uninstalled SSDR for the 3rd time along with Flex VSP.....I use CClean and did a registry clean as well.....

I moved the installer from Google drive over to my desktop.....now from the desktop, I did a new install of SSDR.....

thru all this I've left the radio running and did a restart of the PC.....all 3 times I've restarted, Cat and Dax control have started and appear in the task bar lower right before I even start SSDR....perfect!!

OK I can't explain why but it seems to be working the way u would expect...

is the moral of the story never install software using an installer saved on a cloud???

good news is I'll sleep tonight not having this issued bouncing around in my head!!!

any comments...ideas...conclusions....are appreciated....

Steve

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.