Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 stand

I created a 3D printed vertical stand for my 6300 a couple months ago when I first got the radio.  I just now got around to posting it on Thingiverse.  I suppose it can be viewed as kind of goofy looking, but that's just how I roll.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Nice, I bet you can sell that.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Pretty cool.  Reminds me of the "Flying Buttress" from the medieval architecture.

k3Tim
  • Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited June 2020
    Can you post a photo of the 6300 in the stand?
    Good project!
    thanks
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    He included a link, but here is the picture.
  • Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited July 2015
    How about the 6300 IN the stand?
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited July 2015
    I removed my callsign off the Thingiverse copy.  I never printed one without the callsign so I don't have a picture of it.  There are tools that allow for the addition of text to stl files, like Meshmixer.  At some point I'll add a little paint to the letters to help them stand out.

imageimage
  • Jim    W3IPO
    Jim W3IPO Member
    edited July 2015
    This is useful for space saving on a bench, FD etc.
    (Now I need to convince the XYL that I need a 3D printer to add to my "toy" box.)
    Thanks much.
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited July 2015
    My wife does custom cakes and dessert tables.  I told her I can make custom cookie cutters, and I've made a ton of them.  I've even used it to replace some missing pieces on an old mixer.

It's really amazing how useful a 3D printer can be, especially in ham radio.  I've made some custom cases and the stepper/vacuum variable cap assembly for my magnetic loop.  My latest project is a satellite tracker that's mostly 3D printed, based loosely on the Satnogs tracker I saw at the Dayton hamvention.  Most of what I print is custom.  I rarely just download and print something, although I'm thinking of printing a castle from Thingiverse and mounting it on top of my mag loop.  I need something to cap the 6" PVC pipe surrounding the cap and stepper.  I can then call it lawn art rather than an antenna.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A tuned / resonant speaker enclosure for 600 cycle CW reception would be a nice addition.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'd like to hear an official FLEX comment on any effect on cooling in this position. Then I'd like to have one!!! <ggggg>. Dave.
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited July 2015
    Here is an official response for the 6500.  I can't imagine it's different with the 6300.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My only concern, and I can't be sure from the picture, is how much space under the rig the stand allows.  Does it leave enough unrestricted space to allow adequate airflow?  How about if it is on a carpeted floor?  It might be necessary to have another half-inch or so to provide enough airflow.  But I can't judge the distance from the picture.  If it works this way and doesn't get hot, great!
  • Steve - KD8QWT
    edited July 2015
    The stand leaves 9mm of air under the radio, which is 2mm more than the rubber feet that came with it.  I wouldn't put it on the carpet, if nothing else due to the instability introduced by the soft carpet.  If I had no other choice I'd lay a board underneath the entire length of the radio.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    MEMO TO: Gerald Youngblood (K5SDR)

Gerald -- Here is an idea for a future sales promotion: Include one of these free with each 6000 series sold. Customize it with the buyers call letters, or default to FLEX####. Have them drop shipped and you never handle them.  Best 73  Dave  W6OVP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.