Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Filter Stopping Point ?

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
In Alpha Version for Ssdr 1.4.15 # 953 it states that 0 Hz is now the stopping point for the low side of the CW filter. It does seem to be closer to zero than before however with the bandwidth set for 3.0K I can still hear about 300 Hz on the opposite side of zero. 
I can manually slide the upper side of the bandwidth over to the center-line and eliminate but from the specs it looks like this should not be needed. 
Has this been implemented or am I misunderstanding the intent? 
Note: WIth slightly more narrow filtering the undesired beat disappears. Could this be something to do with the filter skirt overlapping the center?

6500 Ssdr etc.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    "Could this be something to do with the filter skirt overlapping the center?"

Yes. Wider filters, like 3kHz, do not have sharp skirts as the narrower filters because (a) they are not really needed and (b) to minimize the signal propagation latency in a wide filter.  Since CW is a timing specific mode, we have to make these considerations.
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

This was covered in an earlier thread on CW filter optimization.  K5UA and I had suggested this:

"Keep the filter symmetrical on the CW offset until the filter width approaches twice the CW offset, then any additional filter width gets added to the high side of the filter, just like in SSB mode. Vice-versa for LSB CW mode."

The latest SSDR now does this automatically.  For example, selecting the 2.8K filter with a 600 Hz CW side-tone offset in CW-L should produce a filter that is -2400 Hz and + 600 Hz.  Just the opposite for CW-U. 

On wide CW filter settings, the small amount that's heard (and to N4LQ's point) on the opposite side of zero is likely the result of the current DSP filter tap setting.  On my SunSDR2-Pro, it's possible to increase the tap count to the point where there's absolutely nothing heard on the other size of zero.  As neat as that sounds, the Sun is not a full QSK transceiver.  Increasing the tap count will introduce more latency.  And to Tim's point, I'm not sure if Flex could give us the ability to change DSP taps without significantly upsetting QSK system timing that they're worked so hard to perfect.

Paul, W9AC 

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Thanks guys. I'm quiet happy with the filter now. Having the center positioned as before was annoying. Great work.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi Paul, the next is not directly in relation to the filters tap
    but you mentioned abt SunSDR where interesting, sorry a bit Off-Topic:

IC7800/7851:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-sVpoPJKgo8
    SunSDR2(not PRO version):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BacBq36CNg4

Concerning latency in SunSDR2, Yuri UT4LW  measured the latency in CW mode with 500Hz filter with different DSP taps:

Minimal DSP tap:  35ms
    Default: 40ms
    Maximum DSP tap: 70ms

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    But we are talking about 3kHz filters, not 500 Hz in this context.  It takes more time to process a wider filter.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Tim , sure, i wrote a  note "a bit off-topic" = just fyi 
    sorry
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No problem and no apologies are necessary, Surgery.  Just adding a clarifying comment for those who are reading it. Хорошего дня
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    One option to explore at some point down the long SSDR road map is to allow users the ability o change DSP taps by mode, However, fast modes like CW QSK would stay with fixed tap parameters.  To keep users from getting into trouble, a "DSP Tap Default" button could be added in the menu.

I would also like to see the ability to quickly change between CW-L and CW-U by simply "right-clicking" on the CW button in the slice menu.  Each right-click would toggle between CW-L and CW-U.

Paul, W9AC 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.