Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT Commands needed for Remote Contro

Steve Scoggins
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR CAT

We are working on updating the RCForb Server to support the Flex 6000 Series.

The current CAT implementation for SmartSDR seems to be in complete to support a full set of Remote Control functionality.

For example:  There is a CAT command for reading the SWR meter level.

But what about reading the other meter functions: Power Output, ALC, etc.?

Also do not see any CAT command for control of the ATU.

It would be helpful if the full Kenwood TS-2000 CAT command set was supported.

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Steve
    I think the general strategy is to provide full access via TCP control of the radio. I think CAT is there as a bridging technology until programs can migrate to using TCP.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Neal is correct. For more than rudimentary control of the radio, you will need to use the IP based API to subscribe to radio events. CAT is available for legacy access to the radio only.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The legacy reference brings up a question that, perhaps, the people on here who are active in the programming world might have an answer to:

What ham radio logging or contest software company is actively working on an internal TCP interface to the Flex radios?  ( not just promising it someday or telling the user to use a 'middleware' product).

Or maybe I missed the boat and there already is a true TCP connection that is integrated to the base logging / contest software from vendors already.

Thanks

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    N1MM+

HRD
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited June 2015
    I am looking at the C# code for the API where is the documentation explaining how to use it?  What function do you call to initiate the connection to the radio?  
    Examples would be very useful.  I see classes like Panadapter.cs Radio.cs

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Howard - I have both and will look forward to getting rid of the SmartCat.  The less programs I have to run to enjoy the radio, the better for my computer.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    N4PY Pegasus PLus already works via CAT. HRD logger runs via IP but needs a middleware translator such as DDUTIL or mini deluxe. I understand others are examining conversion to IP.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think the entire CAT structure is so anachronistic. I do not understand why anyone, in this day and age, would still be using COM ports or LPT ports or CAT. What is it, one or two chips and you can have an upgradable firmware OS running in your device; stove, refridgerator, radio, car, security camera etc. Why not in ham radio gear?  COM and line printer ports predate Microsoft for goodness sake. What I am working on will directly talk to QRZ and directly do logging, though I don't pretend to be running with the likes of N1MM or even HRDLogger but mine will push stuff to QRZ and to LOTW.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Remember most hams have to be dragged kicking and screaming to try anything new. Ham manufacturers cater to the lowest common denominator. Hence ham radio is one of the few places Com and Parallel ports are still alive
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There is a part of me that totally agrees with that, ergo Windows but the one fly in the ointment is knobless, switchless, rockerless radios and having a monolithic Windows app be the control surface.

I'd say most hams use computers for Google and maybe Facebook, and for those still stuck in yesterday, email.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Steve,

The best reference to get started using the FlexLib API is probably here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/first_steps_with_flexlib.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You speak of 30 year old technology. COM and Printer ports is almost 40 yr old technology that started with CP/M and things like ImDOS. I had bought an Imsai VDP-42 in '78, COM1: and LPT1: and 2 5 1/4" drives. I modified the bios to be reentrant and could run background tasks in it, I had a small app that configured the blue power on light to simulate cpu load as the mainframe had the wait light and I wrote a background print server. I really wanted an Altair from MITS, MITS the company, not the institute, as it also had rocker switches for data and address lines.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Sorry Walt But we were using serial ports to control traffic lights in the early 1960's and parallel ports to control chain printers in the 1960's as well. So I can. Personally vouch for the fact that they are more than50+ years old technology. Of course, I date myself by admitting to knowing this stuf.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    You date yourself? How, um, do you...never mind. :-) The MITS Altair computer (named for the Altarian System of Star Trek fame first debuted in Popular Electronics in '78, as I recall. I purchased the IMSAI instead as it was 50% faster using 3MHz 8085 rather than the 2MHz 8080 . I used it to write and test Fortran IV programs I'd upload to work. Howard no need to apologize my friend, we all understand you are older than dirt. ( if you continue to give me openings, I'll continue to accept them)
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Here we go, I still have my slide rule and my father used an abacus.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I still have mine too AND an abacus. I even have a slide rule on my Android. Don't knock slide rules, they are faster than electronic calculators.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I think you meant that N4PY works without CAT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Yes Too much wine. N4PY. Without CAT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.