Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

#FlexRadio IRC Real-time Chat Discussion & Support

K6OZY
K6OZY Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Come join your fellow Flexer on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) for real-time support and discussions.   IRC has been around since the beginning of the internet and use is declining for a mainstream discussion area, but is still heavily used by computer users and technically savvy individuals.  If you connect to any server in the FreeNode network, you can join us in #FlexRadio.  In a world of SMS messaging, Skype, and other instant messengers, IRC still has a place to meet other like-minded users without having to worry about privacy or authorization issues.

There are many ways to join the #FlexRadio IRC channel.   You can join via a simple web browser interface, or use a more robust client that can stay connected for long periods of time.   I am in IRC 24/7 for work and play reasons, so I wanted to setup a home for us.

If you are a new Flexer or a seasoned Elmer and want to chat with others from this community, I urge you to give it a try and help strengthen our community.   My goal is to have a place to answer more complex issues or questions.

IRC Connection Details

Network:  FreeNode
Channel:  #FlexRadio

Web interface:  https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=FlexRadio

Find a local server for your IRC Client:  http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

There are many clients for IRC.  I use Textual5 for OS X and BitchX for Unix.   Google for IRC Clients to find one for you.   Here are the ones I know of:

Linux (Unix):  HexChat, Quassel, Smuxi, Irssi, WeeChatBitchX (command line only)
Windows:  mIRC (Most Popular), XChat, HydraIRC, KVIrc, Nettalk, Quassel, ThrashIRC
OS X:  TextualColloquy, LimeChat

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I need to recommend HexChat for Windows and Linux instead of mIRC for Windows.  I had no idea mIRC recently went to a paid model.   Please use HexChat instead.  

https://hexchat.github.io
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Can you recommend an IRC client for iOS
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Chris,
    Okay, loaded HexChat for Windows and it seems to be working fine.  Selected the freenode server and #FlexRadio channel.

Decided to set up my nickname as Al-NN4ZZ  

I'm new to the HexChat client and haven't use IRC in years, but using Name-Call seems like a good way to have both my name and call show up in the list.  I know you can also right click and get the "real name" but that is extra steps.  And looking up a call in QRZ name may not give the name you use.  (for example QRZ lists my first name, instead of Al, my middle name)

Thanks for setting this up....looks like another good tool.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ok. Got it. Up and running at Freenode #FlexRadio Of course, ID myself as KY6LA--Howard which is backwards or dyslexia.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    This is how Jay NO5J and I communicated when we were setting up our web site sdrgadgets.com it works well.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I downloaded IRCCloud for iOS and I like it. I do not have any experience with the others but this one is free and works nicely with multiple channels and networks.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I looked at sdrgadgets.com and it just says under construction.  Nothing there.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think this takes you to the wiki, then you can go to the main site. In the wiki page it has a place that says go to main page. On there are some articles.
    http://wiki.sdrgadgets.com
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for setting this up!!  Using Quassel to connect
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Great idea! The chat room has been quite active today.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Reminder Bump
    16 Flexers currently and room for many more.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I wasn't aware there was a problem, thanks W7CK i'll try to fix it.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bump for 1.6 upcoming release.  Get your IRC Clients ready now before the flood!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    +1
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    8 Flexers now. Come see how many we can really hold!image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I imagine the chat room will be busy tonight. :-)
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually it's already busy!
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    what a Mess Tim I downloaded 1.617 and now have a squeal from the DM780 when using digital modes couldn't figure it out and upon uninstall back to 1.5 now have DAX Driver whats the fix for this??

Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.