Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

band appropriate ssb

Asher - K0AU
Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Fantastic progress the last few releases.  Here's a convenience feature - not critical but would be nice.  The mode drop-down box off the flag offers AM, CW, USB and a drop-down box.  How hard would it be to offer AM, CW and SSB - and automatically select a band-appropriate sideband.  LSB/USB could still be options on the drop-down.  Or change the labeling based on the band to either offer USB or LSB.  Would eliminate one click in selecting SSB below 20M.  Am I missing an easy way to do this?

Comments

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hey Asher...won't be long now. Weren't you looking for a native Mac SSDR or were you looking at Linux? Either way....WBLN. How about this, I resist doing this as it violates my own sense of idea.
    The radio discovery dialog, I believe knows the country.
    If you are in the CW portion (country appropriate, automatically switch to CW and turn off VOX. Worst case a user has to switch to digi.
    If you are in the SSB porttion automatically switch to the band appropriate SB. It's just a little change to your idea. I believe my phantom signal was I was in CW but the vox was on. My SSDR is doing that.

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    If you right click the mode choice you can choose lsb usb or whatever you want
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Lee,  On my SSDR the right click only works after the mode box is displayed.  But offering all the modes as a right click on the DSP Mode X/RIT DAX bar would be a great option, too.  I'm trying to eliminate one mouse click from the mode change.

Walt - good idea about knowing country-specific modes.  I've built my own prototype control software for DXing that automates split operation.  Needs another pass before I can share it.  What we're all starting to see is how Flex as a radio server allows for tailored controls for ragchewing, DXing, contesting, etc.  Very cool.
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited July 2018
    AMEN!!  Having LSB as the SSB default for all bands is terribly wrong -- it was NOT that way in earlier versions.  My guess is that USB is by far the more popular SSB as it applies to more frequencies than dos LSN, which is defaulted for all bands.  You have a great suggestion -- 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    These options are mode favorites and are not associated or defined by frequency (band). 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @****, 17 mtrs is the demarcation point for USB/LSB. 17M through 10M are USB, Below 17M LSB is the accepted SB modulation. 160, 80, and 40 being LSB and 10 and 30 being digital/CW. Above 10M the predominate mode is FM although there is some USB. Isn't RTTY always support to be LSB, or maybe USB, regardless of the band?
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Mine changes mode by band now. Just checked and will use whatever mode was last used on that band.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    60m is an exception to that rule.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, about all I know about 60 is it exists and has 'channels' that, as I recall, we have access to some of, like 2 maybe?? So is that channels like CB? But good to know. You don't need to explain it, I can look it up. I don't have an antenna that tunes there anyway.
    Thanks,
    Walt
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    @Walt, I believe 20 meters is USB as well so below 20 meters is LSB.

Jon...kf2e
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Jon, 17 is USB
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    So is 20...you said "Below 17M LSB"

Jon...kf2e
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    @Jon...now I am confused. With the exception of 60m
    Below 17m is LSB  Perhaps it is a symantic difference. I consider 160 lower than 17 even though it is a larger number. 160m is 1.8MHz 17m is 18.068 MHz, so 1.8 is lower than 18. Are you perceiving 2m to be lower than 17m?
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    20 meters Walt! 14Mhz
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OMG...guys, my apologies.. I hate these senior moments.
    Sorry Jon
    Thank you James
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited May 2015
    Make yourself some profiles for each band by mode.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    No problem Walt! You are definately not alone when it comes to "Senior Moments"!
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I likewise would like it to default to the accepted mode for the band, in fact default to cw when in a cw mode portion. I did go through and set each band mode and now it goes to what I leave the band on. A minor issue but would live to see it auto set.
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited September 2015
    Guys!!  USB is from 20 meters through at least 2 meters.  LSB is always on 40, 80, & 160.  I believe 60 meters REQUIRES USB.

That has been the way the bands have been used on single side band since the introduction of SSB back in the late 50's & 60's!!!  

THOSE should be the DEFAULT SSB settings for each of the respective bands based on common use practices in effect for over 50+ years!!!

Having the Flex automatically go to those sidebands when switching bands would be ideal -- you can still change it if you want to go against the tide and use the other sideband.

Good luck -- 

****, K9APW, since 1960!
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    More than I ever wanted to know http://www.ac6v.com/73.htm#LSB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.