Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrade/Install Process Idea

JB
JB Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in New Ideas
Add spash screen/option box during upgrade process that allows user to replace existing shortcuts on the desktop with the new version.

Comments

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017

Sorry John, but I don't like this idea. Shortcuts can be moved/copied to multiple places. How will an installer find the shortcuts? I think if people want two versions of SSDR on their PC, then they just need to learn to click on the proper shortcut. For example, to run ver1.4.11 simply click on the shortcut named "SmartSDR v1.4.11". Likewise, to run ver 1.4.3 simply click on the shortcut named "SmartSDR v1.4.3".

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I'd rather not have shortcuts overwritten, but would think some way of identifying a newer version's icon could be found.

Would think each major version (v1.x.xx, v2.x.xx, v3.x.xx) could deserve a whole new Icon?

Perhaps an Icon color feature that is changed each point revision (v1.4.xx, v1.5xx, v1.6.xx)?

Or perhaps the Shortcut could have the version number in the graphic?

My practice is to drag old version shortcuts to a unused shortcut folder once I have the new install running.  Perhaps auto archiving the former in the same way would be a workaround?

Too many new (and some of longer term users, myself when tired included) are stubbing their toes on the odd need to manually update the shortcut to leave it so cludgy.

Steve

K9ZW

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Steve, That's why the box that would come up would present it as an "Option" :-).

From the majority of the posts I have seen on the issue the problems have really focused on the old shortcuts remaining in place on the desktop. Muscle memory takes over. Been burned myself.

At least on my desktop, the shortcut does not display all of the info unless I hover over it so short of that there is always a chance of choosing the wrong one.

I do, however, understand your point. I appreciate the feedback.

Jon

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Sound like a good idea,
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited May 2015
    I just "pin to taskbar" the newest program.... When an upgrade is done just unpin the old one and pin the new one.... no confusion or mistakes...
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    To "pin to taskbar" newest program version, and "unpin from taskbar" the older version is simple, leaves nothing new to learn or identify.  Agree with John completely.  Keep it simple -- as it already is.  

Just in case knowing how it "unpin" is an issue, just put mouse curser over the icon of version on taskbar to be replaced, right click, and then click "unpin this program from taskbar."  Then, "pin" the newest version to the taskbar.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

I agree with John as well as I do that. I also drag CAT and find and pin DAX as well. But do remember that the upgrade program does install new desktop shortcuts so for those not attuned they will remain for any previous versions unless deleted.

It was an idea stated. Good feedback and appreciated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.