Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Ipad from 11,500 Feet

Options
KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Flying home in WA3IHV's Centurion from the Visalia International DX Convention (where I won a 6300) I connected to my home station via iPad and worked DX from 11,500'... something you could never get away with on a commercial airline...

Frankly this is an ATNO for me working remote.image

Here is a screen shot...

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Very nice Howard!

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There are so many cool things happening on this picture!!!! drool!
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Howard, I bet you never thought you would be a member of the Mile High club.  :)
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just. Too. Cool.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Who says I wasn't?

Anyways its the 2 Mile High CLub
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Operating remotely via 4G?  Sweet !!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I works OK at 3G also IF you have at least 1.5 - 2Mb/s speeds..

4G LTE is usually much better than the WIFI you find in hotels..

The only issue is latency... 30ms local, 120ms around the USA... 200 -300ms internationally...
    But unless you are contesting or trying to work an ATNO with a huge pileup, the latency is not an issue..
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks Howard. Aeronautical mobile, remote, w/ SDR combo is great story.  I operate 6700 remotely via iPad and laptop, and have had similar latency results. Congrats on the Big Win at Visalia !  
  • Carl Young
    Carl Young Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Howard,  Thanks for great connection from 11k+.  So you're the guy who won my Flex 6300 at the convention.  Congratulations!   Another great convention for sure.

73,  Carl - K5HK
  • Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Howard,  Thanks for great connection from 11k+.  So you're the guy who won my Flex 6300 at the convention.  Congratulations!   Another great convention for sure.

73,  Carl - K5HK
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

What host/client software are you using on the iPad & PC.

Thanks

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carl

Come to Visalia Next Year.. they always have the most $ value prizes per attendee .. Dayton gets about $50K in prizes for 20,000 people while Visalia gets about $70K in prizes for about 900 people... Why.. because the DXers and Contesters at Visalia spend more $ per capita than the typical Dayton attendee so it makes sense for vendors to show products there.

Who knows you might win your 6700 there
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Parallels Access

Here is the complete write up of how to do it

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_ipad_operation_of_6000_series_using_parallel...

it also works on my iPhone
  • Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes I was there this weekend but no lucky tickets. Yes think they said 57 dollars in prizes per attendee this year. Good odds comparatively to most raffles.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @BURT

We bought you this great shirt that we knew would show what is important to you at the Visalia International DX Convention.

My Contest Buddy from NX6T Contest Station, Dennis N6KI, even volunteered to model it for you..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.