Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

Options

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    James,

I do not plan at this time to release the source code for my Android project at this time.  Maybe someday.

William
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not a problem William. Any pointers to controls similar to those in your app? I like them and have been looking for something similar. My drawing skills (in code) are poor at best. Any pointers would be appreciated. james WD5GWY
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    James,

Here is the tutorial I used for the knobs.  I modified it for my purpose, but it should get you started.

http://go-lambda.blogspot.in/2012/02/rotary-knob-widget-on-android.html

William

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wonder if this will run on a Kindle.  I have a couple gathering dust.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As long as it has min Android 4.3, it should.

William
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    :-) Yep, WIlliam, I don't plan on releasing mine either. There is no point to putting it on Google Play or the Apple App store if the source is freely available.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some people like me don't root or sideload their Android stuff and I'll never jailbreak my iOS stuff. 

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am wondering if it is required prior approval or authorization by FlexRadio Company before software designers can release proprietary software.
    If it is so, which tests are required for a software to be certified on the FlexRadio Signature platform?

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    They open sourced FlexLib. Just like with Apache software, it would need licensing information. That, btw, is why I suspect FRS will not be releasing SSDR UI. HRD, DDUtil, and other software use FlexLib. Stu rewrote it in Objective C, I am rewriting it.
    Prior to FRS open sourcing the code for FlexLib it was available via NDA. NDA says you can not disclose the information which, could be argued, implies one can't release your derived code. So for those of us under non-disclosure with FRS, that is a legal document. If you listen to some of the talks Steve Hicks has given he references very mixed feelings about letting  non-FRS software run on the 6000 platform (radio). By processing the datastream, you are not posing a threat of crashing the radio. If your code runs inside the radio, it is possible.

Plus, writing code that is intended to run inside the radio presupposes FRS has the time and resources necessary  to convince themselves it would be safe. At the end of the day, if something inside the radio crashes the radio FRS gets the bad press and the phone calls, not the person who wrote the code that did it. SO I totally understand their reticence in letting outsider's code inside the box.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is all defined in http://www.flexradio.com/smartsdr-eula/ however unless you understand legal mumbo jumbo it really does not answer the question.  Not being a developer by trade, I don't understand it myself.  Maybe someone from flex will answer.

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dear Walt and William, thank a lot for your clarifications.
    I wouldn't like to change the object of this post, but let me add another point about the same question.
    In the last period I did a lot of tests on my microcontroller code and I realized that my code could produce bad effects on the Flex hardware.
    So, while I could use third part software based on the official FRS libraries (like DDUTIL and others) , I would have some doubts on using third part software that isn't based on any official/approved software libraries.
    I think FlexRadio should try to realease in some way libraries for the most common operating systems because a common starting point would give more warranties to both developers and third part software consumers.
    Anyway I hope to see asap in Google Play your Android aps and I wish you good luck.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ah, yes Enzo...that is a different issue. And, to be sure, had FRS supported Linux and Mac and Android and iPad (presumably, as I can't speak for Stu) I wouldn't be engaging in providing a S(er)SDR for Linux, Android, Mac, and yes, even, Windows. It happens to work on Windows. And there is stuff I can't discuss.

As for using Stu's iPad contest app. I am not sure what warranty, expressed or implied, Stu provides. In my case, for those that, share my belief that one shouldn't be required to use a Microsoft product to enjoy this radio, I am providing a solution. If they chose to purchase it, great. If they chose to wait for peer review, that's great too.

Please elaborate on "Bad effects on the Flex hardware".  If you are actually putting an electrical signal on the RJ-45, I don't think I'd want to use your product. If you were just using a TCP/IP stack, beyond a DOS attack there is nothing that comes to mind you can do to hurt the radio.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for! James WD5GWY
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Made some slight progress.  I got rid of the graphing library and just wrote my own simple code to graph the FFT data.  This has fixed (or masked) any performance issues.  It has halved the CPU usage of the app.  Progress is slow, but its getting there.  Tons to do, but at least I'm making some progress, albeit slow :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UfokoIjMc

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are you using this without any other PC connected to the rig?  If so, that is awesome, William!  
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes ken, it does not need a PC.  And actually you can't use the PC, as you can only have 1 GUI connected.  Of course the audio is via line-out, as I have not worked on remote audio yet.

William
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well done! You're saying you no longer need SSDR running seperately now? I haven't looked thru flexlib source code in a while(out on the road....again) , but, Steve did say in a post some time back that they were probably going to allow initalizing the radio from a different app without SSDR running at some point in the future in flexlib. Sounds like they may have already done that. I know that the version of your app that I run on my 7" Nexsus won't run without SSSR running on the pc first.(I tried it several times) Really like what you're doing. Let us know when it's available on the app store! james WD5GWY
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So Walt, When is your super app going to show up on Google Play or the Apple App store?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ipad  PLEASE

- I have no desire or inclination to buy an Android device
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You are joking of course !!
    Cheers
    Paul
    gi4fzd
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    James,

Initializing the radio is a simple process.  The main step is to create the panadapter stream.  This also turns on the audio, etc.  Then you just have to set stream parameters such as bandwidth, averaging, etc.

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Again, thanks for the info. That helps a lot. james
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    To some, I am not necessarily saying the dear Doctor, but to some.....
    There is a certain appeal to buying the most grossly overpriced product available in any class.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Probably explains why I drive a BMW 7 Series and a 6700, 2K-FA and a SteppIR MonstIR... Only the best is good enough.

Or in the case of the iPad - the first practical tablet that actually worked...
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Howard, what does that mean about what you told me earlier?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't recall what I told you?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I missed your question Jim. Yes, it will. I was hoping to unveil it at Dayton, but that won't be happening. I have learned, over the years in software, you never pin a date for a product. I mean, heck, we've seen the results here, up close and personal.
    I will say this, not before this summer. However, having said that, it is entirely possible you will see it before this summer. While, in theory, it will work on an iPad, I am not certain at this point when that would be. I mean, I'd have to..you know...be able to say it runs fine on an iPad and since I don't own one.....
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Perhaps, but do you have a Cirrus SR-22T?
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm currently using an Android device. So, I'll keep watch on the PlayStore. james
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The Nexus 9 has a dual core 64 bit processor and a GPU with 192 cores. As I recall I have the 32GB version.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.