Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pre-amp on 5000A

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
I have used the receive loop on my 5000A with a 6 meter preamp.  It works very well.  I have the VHF/UHF board installed in my 5000A.  Until I can get my tower down to install a new mast mounted pre-amp, is it possible to use the receive loop on the 5000A with 2 meters?  PSDR seems to let me select this option.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I am afraid not.  The RX loop is only for HF/6 operation.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Tim.  That's why I wanted to ask first before I bought the preamp.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    You are most welcome.  BTW, my SSB preamps for 6,2 and 0.7m work really well on the 5000.  Just make sure you turn off the VU preamps by un-checking the IF gain option in the transverter form.  You probably will not need the additional gain it provides.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I actually have a Downeast microwave preamp that a ham friend of mine put in a waterproof box with some high power relays.  I just need to get the tower down to get it installed on the mast.  I run 1500 watts on 2 meter SSB and most of the commercially made preamps won't handle that kind of power. 

Thanks for the info on un-checking the IF gain options in the transverter form.  I was a little worried about to much gain once I get the mast mounted preamp installed.  I had to turn down the receive gain on my 1296 transverter when I installed my mast mounted preamp.  I had a S9 noise floor!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.