Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Advice or recommendation regarding a lightening arrestor for my 6500 would be most appreciated.

Justin Smith
Justin Smith Member
edited March 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I live in the central NC and in the past 20 years I have had three direct strikes within 300' of my QTH and severl more within a 1/4 mile,  Two of the near strikes hit the house across the street about two years apart and caught it on fire both times.  The last one blew the bark off a pine tree in the woods behind my house; very impressive show of nature

I exclusively use the ICE lightning arrestors, now made by Morgan Mfg and  Array Solutions OEMs them.  I have never had any EMP damage from the near strikes.  I need to caveat my testimonial by adding that I do have a halo ground around the house that serves as my AC safety and RF ground.  All my coax shields are grounded to it before they enter the house.  For any lightning protection solution to be effective, it needs to have a good ground to shut the energy to the earth. 
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited March 2015
    Polyphasers work for nearby strikes too I've found out.  I also like coax switches such as Alpha Delta that let you shunt the center pins to ground when not in use -- which is all an arrestor does anyhow.
  • Scott AC8DE
    Scott AC8DE Member
    edited March 2015
    Polyphasers are OK, but they lack the static shunts that the ICE or Array Solutions version has.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.