Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X 1.4.0-RC2 Config for SmartSDR 1.4.0

How do you configure WSJT-X 1.4.0-RC2 to communicate with the SmartSDR 1.4.0?

DDUTIL is using COM4 to connect to SmartSDR CAT

I have tried adding another virtual CAT port for WSJT-X but it does not communicate correctly.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Start by using either the release version 1.3 or the latest beta 1.4 rc4. Support for the 6000 series is not baked in, so you need to use Kenwood settings. TS480, I believe works. Make sure you have a dedicated CAT port set up.
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited May 2019
    The latest WSJT-X Release Candidate is wsjtx-1.4.0-rc4 which includes a selection for the Flex 6XXX Series.  However I am not able to get it to communicate.  I will try the Kenwood TS480 approach.  I have added a dedicated CAT port for the WSJT-X in the SmartSDR CAT setup.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Steve

Either Kenwood TS-2000 or TS-480 might work. Use TS-480 if TS-2000 doesn't work.
    I've also managed to use DXLabs Commander as the radio type. and Omnirig but that would require setting those up in addition. I second George's recommendations on WSJT-X versions.
     you will need either shared SmartSDR CAT ports if your using DDUtil or dedicated SmartSDR CAT ports if not using DDUtil.  Com 4 may be useable standalone without DDUtil, if its the 
    Connect 3rd Party Program to Port X on the Main tab in SmartSDR CAT. I don't normally use that port. I setup 2-3 shared ports for DDUtil to manage and use those. Either approach is valid. I also use DDUtil Autodrive with my amp so it's always running, might as well use it to manage the CAT connection too.  

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    If you have a Flex 6xxx radio, you do not really need to use CAT and split operation at all. I normally operate WSJT-X with one slice and the transmit and receive bandwidth set to 4200 Hz. This allows me to use the JT65 + JT9 mode. I set Rig = None, RTS (or DTR), USB, and Split = None. I had previously set up a port at COM 8-18 with SmartCAT and selected PTT with both RTS and DTR checked.

I have had great results with the above setup and as far as I can tell, the only disadvantage is not transmitting between 1500 Hz and 2000 Hz which the CAT setup allows. I also do not have a second slice moving back and forth in the Panadapter to distract me. I do not use DDUtil.

Ed, K0KC
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    And I second Ed's comments about using split you wont need it. DIGU now has a 5000Hz filter. I use
    that or a 4000Hz filter. I have PTT + RTS port setup and use that for PTT. It's up to you. Flexability no extra charge.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Flex 6XXX stuff was a recent addition. And only shows up because its an addition in Hamlib. Doesn't work yet. I was told it's not being worked on in WSJT, requires upstream work by the Hamlib devs. Maybe someday soon.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I use VOX which works very well.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I recall seeing that a 5.1 kHz receive bandwidth with slow AGC works quite well. I use it daily, and it eliminates strong signals swamping WSJT-X. Transmit bandwidth is set to 3900 Hz. No split needed, plenty of good decodes on JT9 and 65. AGC slider set about halfway - enough for 25-30 on the WSJT-x meter on a quiet frequency. Try it,
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    VOX is even simpler, doesn't need to be setup, just turn it on. Great Tip!

73, Jay - NO5J
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    3.9kHz bandwidth here, AGC-T off, set to 50, varied according to band condx.
    WSJT-X slider set between 30 and 40dB digital gain.
    And using version 1.5.0-devel, which works stable and better than 1.4...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Alex
    Almost exactly how I do it.
    Dax set to 20 and AGC-T set to @50 based on band condx.
    WSJT-X Slider on 6.
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I found that setting AGC-T off is best for digital modes in my relatively quiet environment. With my small antennas noise level is at around -130dB 73, Alex DH2ID
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Alex
    I'm still exploring the AGC Off, or Fast question, Originally I always left it off, that way strong signals wouldn't swamp weak signals, then I saw recommendations 
     that Fast was better, I haven't formed a conclusion yet, I'm in a similar low RF environment, but I also make do with a ZS6BKW dipole as the only antenna till springtime really arrives, all signals heard are weak signals, so maybe I'm not typical.
    I have learned that turning up the gain only seems to destroy the decoders ability to do it's thing I keep it low 25dB to 30dB on the meter decodes 20m signals pretty much 24/7 here. it's nice having multiple slices I don't have to stop watching 20m to go sit in at the evening Ragchew and can watch 40m WSJT-X while doing both. 6500 and 1 antenna so I have to choose when it comes to transmitting.

73, Jay - NO5J 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.