Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ACC Connector - CW keying (1.38)

k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
Q:  The ACC connection for CW (pin-4)  / fFSK - future FSK does work on CW?

I am sure the answer is yes but before firing up the soldering iron....  Can one use pin 4 as a CW (bug / straight key) input ?  Is there any downside?

_..--
k3Tim

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Yes you may use that port with no side problems. 

It is direct keying, single contact, no built in keyer, no speed control, etc.  There are "break-out" boxes that expose all contacts to mini **** down terminals.  Note:  The Flex connector is mounted "upside down" to expected;  be aware when counting pin-outs.

It may also be driven by a single transistor pull-down connected to a COM ground and DTR or RTS ports. 

I use it to connect N1MM+ WinKey to the 6000 for macro keys.  See N1MM+ documentation for sample circuit.  It remains as the only wires between the computer and 6000, except for networking.

73  Stan

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    HI Stan.

Thanks for the detailed response  and the caution about "upside down".  Was not aware of this and I shall keep a mindful eye on it. The connector will end up busy with wires.

Best Regards,

k3Tim
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Tim,
    I made an interface box for the accessory connections that makes it easy to connect a straight key or bug.  Also it can be connected to a PC serial port if you want to use a program to do the keying.  Here are a few pictures below.  I also have a document with more details on the parts.   There is also a picture below of the "breakout" connector if you prefer that route.  Also if you are considering using a DB15 video cable, be careful, the wiring may not be compatible.  More about that in the document also. 

eMail me if you want a copy of the document.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Al,
    Both breakout devices look convenient with the Winford being fairly small although one would have to enclose it for protection and RF leakage.  May order a Winford to use for testing. I am concerned with  RFI/EMI.  I assume your setup didn't have problems in this regard,

The 3.5mm speaker connection seems a weak point and I have that cable secured to an adjoining  cable so the internal 3.5mm jack is not stressed.  Will be moving the speaker connection to the ACC.

I ordered a DB15HD connector that has ferrite beads built-in (filtered) as well as some non-filtered versions and metal hood.  (oddly, there were no DB15HD connectors at the Yuma Hamfest this weekend).  The wiring will be twisted pair with foil shield so the result should be bullet proof to RFI/EMI.   A mono-channel speaker and CW key are only accessories to be interfaced.  Maybe later the electonic keyer. 

Thanks for your details and taking the time to post...  Much appreciated.

Best Regards, 

k3Tim

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim,
    I did have some RFI issues in my setup and solved them with ferrites on every cable connected to the radio.   Here is a link with my grounding and RFI solutions.

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#RF_issues_and_solutions

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Al,

I recall your website from earlier (Dec  or Jan?) when I first got the 6500 and used your concepts to help reduce RFI - not as many ferrite beads however!
    In the end it's a quiet station w/o any RF going where it should not.

Thanks for putting that website together.  I liked the lighting rod protection also.

k3Tim

• EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello, I have used this method to connect N1MM to my Flex 6300 so I can key it without using CWX. I built the simple circuit, as described in N1MM's website, with a transistor and using the serial port to control it. I have encountered two issues and wanted to see if anyone had the same problems: 1. Pin 5 on my Flex 6300 accessory port does not seem to be ground. I have confirmed with a continuity check against other ground pins and the chassis. I have also tried to wire Pin 5 to use as the ground for the key. 2. After I transmit using the key on the accessory port, the MOX continues to be ON, with the red LED ON on the front panel, but the radio goes back to receive and I can hear the background noise and appears to work normally. I believe this is a bug in the software. Any feedback is appreciated. 73, Eduardo - KC8R
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Eduardo,
    I happened to pick pin 10 for the ground in my keying interface and it works fine.

The RED led on the radio works correctly for me for both the paddle plugged in to the radio jack and the straight key I have wired to the accessory connector.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Al, Thanks for the reply. I got it to work using pin 10 also. I may submit an official ticket for pin 5 not working correctly. I'm still wondering about the MOX staying on, as well as the LED. 73, Eduardo

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.