Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Humor - Top Ten Reasons to Trade Down to a Legacy Radio

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Humor - The Top Ten Reasons for trading down to a Legacy Radio

( I sold all my Legacy Radios because the 6700 blew them away in every test and in subsequent shootout tests )

1. Missing the comforting static of phase noise
2. Missing the interstage amplified distortion introduced by superheterodyne stages .
3. Enjoying being blind to the full spectrum.
4. Wanting to run CWSkimmer in a tiny bandwidth.
5 The comforting feeling of bleed thru of analog filters
6. The comforting feeling of a rats nest of wires and interfaces to run digital
7. Enjoying the high learning curve of a myriad of confusing knobs and buttons and having to read the manual every time you turn that legacy radio on.
8. Wanting poorer digital decodes due to digital to analog to digital conversion chains
9. Wanting a radio that will never change or improve over time.

And #10.

10. Wanting a lower Sherwood rated radio

BTW... Feel Free to add your reasons as well...

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Because ver 1.4 was later than expected. And it makes a point, what ever that is...too funny
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I miss all the connecting cables and subsequent RF problems associated with running digital modes!
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited June 2020
    Interesting list but wrong of course.  If you lose you computer you lose your radio.  I don't think the Icom needs a computer to work. The ideal SDR is one that does not need a computer.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not think that computers are a significant point of failure in an SDR station. Not a consideration IMHO.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015

SteveJ,

Have you seen that Russian SDR rig? I think it is still only a concept, but it looked pretty neat. It was meant to provide the best of both worlds, a sit at home SDR rig, and a field-day contest rig all in one.

I've wondered more than once for what purpose Flex added the display and menu buttons on the 6x radios. Were they meant to provide a bare-bones way to operate in a pinch without a computer, or just for in-house diagnostics?

• Jon Turner
    Jon Turner Member
    edited December 2016
    Don't forget the recursive menus in legacy radios, Howard. Jon/WW6ZZ
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015

Guy,

I agree. With the emerging networking capabilities of SSDR, it become a non-factor. Just install SSDR on a different computer if/when your computer dies.

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    You might be able to work the bands without a computer but I bet most modern hams would find that is about 1/2 the fun as running with one, maybe enough to decide and wait until they can get their computer working! Logging, spots, emails, nasty comments on forums, could we really live without them?

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017
    11. Tiny screens.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A SDR TRX is a computer. My good old IC-756PRO has a DSP in it's ZF and has a CPU - is a computer. Your washing machine probably also is a computer. At our local club we are proud owners of a Geloso TRX, which is NOT a computer. You'll probably have to go that far back, hi....
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    12. Fear of Achievement.
    13. Fear of Enjoyment.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    14. Never  having to learn new features built into the legacy radio.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I miss all those long hours listening for stations, slowly turning the Drake R4B's knob, and finally finding a voice I never had heard before. 
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    How could a sdr radio not need a computer, even the Russian one has a i5 Intel processor based computer on board.
  • Keith Richards
    edited February 2015
    I will certainly miss index finger repetitive strain injury and constantly having to bite my nails to get my finger in the VFO indent ....
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015
    There seems to be a problem with semantics here. What some call computers, others refer to as processors. I think when the OP used the word "computer", he meant a PC.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited December 2015
    There seems to be a problem with semantics here. What some call computers, others refer to as processors. I think when the OP used the word "computer", he meant a PC.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    SteveJ, if you loose your knob radio you loose your knob radio.  No difference. Happened to me on a legacy knob radio I bought back in the late 90's.  Had to send it off to have the microprocessor replaced.  A microprocessor is really just another name for a computer.  

I still have it in the original box with crystal filters installed if someone wants to buy it.  $995 plus shipping.  It's in very clean condition and barely used.  Covers 160m through 70cm.  Original owner, non smoking, full power output.  I'm dead serious.  If you are interested, send me an email offline.  I want to use the money to add some station automation goodies to my FLEX-6700 station.
  • Keith Richards
    edited February 2015

Is the IC 7800 not a computer ? It has a processor, screen, USB socket, mouse pointer on the screen, socket for an external screen, internal memory and external memory slot. All in a nice box.

Its a computer - just a very expensive and slow one, with very limited functionality that can only run a single application).  

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Gerald, I am very pleased with my 6500 and not in the market, but if you want to sell this unit perhaps you should tell people which brand and model it is.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just curious, Gerald, what is it?  Sounds like a Yaesu FT-767, ICOM IC-706MK2G,  or a Kenwood TS-2000. 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FT-847
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I miss my tubes.  They kept my feet warm.  :)
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    15. XVRT port ,that not risk to blew away expensive transverter if cat chew the ALC wire (again)..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.