Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DSP funtions NB, ANF and NR improvement update requested.

David H. W5CAH
David H. W5CAH Member ✭✭

I would appreciate an update on the possibility of seeing the DSP functionality of my 6500 improved  I see no comparison between my Icom 756 Pro and Yaesu Mark-V.  Both are superior in DSP NR, NB and ANF.  Specifically, significant distortion occurs when the ANF is activated on the FLEX and the NR does not compare with my older radios.  I won't give up hope and am really hopeful the FRS team will come through.  I am just retiring and hoped this would be my last radio....

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    In every way other than the DSP, your 6500 out performs the radios you mentioned.
    DSP is to be in version 1.5
    2 months ago
    Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official R

As I stated in the last Flex Insider, our goal is to up the game in noise and interference mitigation in v1.5.  There are many types and sources of noise so a single algorithm will not address all types of noise and operating modes.  We are not going for parity but to exceed what has been done before on any radio.  As I also said, this is a "science project."  We have a number of ideas that we want to try that have not been used in ham radio radio before.  We have a lot of options in the FPGA that are not available in legacy architectures.  

Regarding the current noise functions, you may find that you have AGC-T set too high.  You should adjust AGC-T for best SNR and then turn NR or NB on.  I find that I don't like NR on any manufacturer's radio I have ever used.  LMS based noise reduction algorithms always "color" the signal in my ears.  I much prefer to adjust AGC-T for best SNR since the signal is not distorted at all with this method.

Regarding remote, LAN in v1.4 is a prerequisite for WAN.  We have to get that right first.  We remain committed to v2.0 WAN in 2015.  Doing WAN right is non trivial. 
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Agree on the importance of getting the hang of AGC-T.  Although not world class, I have found the existing Noise Blanker to be better than expected, especially if AGC-T is set as low as possible.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I COULD make a video about how poorly NB works, but I won't....I will wait...till 1.4 comes out.... and 'the science project' is complete, and 1.5 shows up...

VERY frustrating to wait so long, though...

can NOT believe i have to hook up my old FT-107...at least the NB works...160m useless
     here, my favorite band...

73, w5xz

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.