Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V1.4 Demo

L.Kubis
L.Kubis Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Both Gerald and Tim have commented on how well V1.4 is working for then.

Since it is now working so well and since there is so little information on what V1.4 contains, it might be a good time to give the user base a pre-view of it's operational features.

In my view, the up-coming Orlando Hamfest would be an excellent venue to demonstrate these new features.

Perhaps it might even defuse some of the ongoing debate on this release.

Cheers!
Lloyd
VE3ERQ

Comments

• James Whiteway
    edited July 2018
    While I may agree with you in principal, in practice, it's better to let sleeping dogs lay, than to start another thread that is sure to turn into a bitchfest again. we will know soon enough what v1.4 contains when it's posted. james WD5GWY
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have been to Dayton the past two or three years.  At each event, FLEX had one of it's Alpha or Beta versions running.  So there is a chance that you might see it at other hamfests.  But there is a chance that they may not.  There is also a chance that 1.4 will be released within the next two weeks, making it a non-issue.  Time will tell.  ...
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    ||  at the Yuma AZ hamfest   ||  a U tube video...

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was hoping the 1.4 version would be released whilst I am off work recuperating from spinal surgery.
    Dayton, shmayton ;-). I'm back at work on 24th of this month so that will be the release date :-).
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    donnt hold your breath
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The recent editions of the Flex Insider gave more info about what to expect upcoming.

• Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    I was told by my uk supplier that I would get update every 3 months 7months down the line iv received none so donnt hold your breath
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sue them.
    How could you expect them to make a definitive statement on which you could rely?
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2015
    Suing them would do no good.  At the time they told him that updates would come that often they probably were. It wasn't until recently that there was a delay in release.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just checked the VegasInsider for the betting odds on 1.4, don't bet on it.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I figure software releases happen when they happen. Every Sales Rep I've ever dealt with, has misrepresented facts to one degree or another. I stopped holding my breath the first time, right after I turned blue. The upcoming release will likely do things that the previous release can't do. I knew that going in. I'm stubborn, I think I can out wait most anyone.
    While I'm waiting, I think I'll spend the time studying the source code of
    PowerSDR to see what tweaks might be possible to improve what my 1000 and 5000 can do. Plenty of experimentation ahead, and probably plenty of waiting time to fill too. Life is what you make with it. I want to make mine better. It bothered me more when openHPSDR lost the ability to control the SDR-1000, but kept every other feature. I'm hoping I can find source before and after that change and add it back in as a first step toward a working linux client for the SDR-1000, then move on to adding in some way to add on support for the Flex series models. The SDR-1000 hardware still works great if you have the PC hardware it needs. Old PCs that have parallel ports are cheap and abundant. they just need a better OS now that MS has moved on. Linux can run well on old hardware. the Linux kernel now supports some of the firewire soundcard hardware. I've even seen the 5000 be detected by it. no working driver yet, but maybe thats something that needs reverse engineering, won't know it's impossible until I fail at it. First I have to try.
    First I have to play with it. maybe I'll learn something, maybe I'll just have fun playing. I love toys, I love taking them apart to see how they work, knowing how they work, lets me make more informed toy purchase decisions. The 1.4 release when it arrives will likely sidetrack me, I promise myself I'll get back on track and try to get somewhere.
    Where? I don't know yet. I might know something later. Ask me when I get there and I'll fill you in. The road goes on forever, if it doesn't you missed your turn.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would think the user base should be able to demo before Hamcation.
  • N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited February 2015
    Please keep us up to date with what you develop! I have a Flex-1500 that I like very very much (!!), as well as a Flex-3000. I'm always interested in new goodies!

73 de Dave, N7AIG

• Peter
    Peter Member
    edited May 2015
    I think we need to talk about it as we were promised a release 3-4 months ago and now no  new date mentioned, so it could never happen. I think we are the best beta testers, let us have the code and we'll identify the bugs.

Peter (ve3pcd)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Peter

We have beaten this subject to death, dug up the body, beaten it again, and again, dug up the body a few more times and beaten it again and again and again.. 

The lack of a definite date mentioned was caused by the whiners who were given a best guess date and then complained when the best guess was not a great guess. 

Obviously by your comments "Promised" you have never been involved in the process of INVENTING something that no one has ever done before so you really do not understand that there can be all sorts of unknowns that bite you in the **** when you work through the Invention process.   No one ever PROMISES a software delivery date.

An interim beta release will only consume more of the very limited programming resources at Flex by forcing them to respond to people who will undoubtedly complain about the bugs they find.

The fastest way for Flex to deliver 1.4 is for all of us to stop with the whining so Flex does not consume resources answering the whines and wait for them to finish.

Your complaints only slow things down.,

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    "You rush a miracle man you get rotten miracles" .....Billy Crystal as Miracle Max in THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Not going to promise anything. I've seen how that goes. I'll post feedback here as I learn, along with questions so I can learn. I did have a basic understanding of some parts of the PowerSDR source during the SVN beta period. I hope I can scrape some of the rust off that understanding, and get busy again. I was too busy in those days to really figure it all out. Now I'm all out of things to do. Not exactly how I envisioned my retirement. But it is what it is. I need to just do the best with what I've got, which is mostly time. 
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited January 2020
    the uk suppliers are still saying in there sales flyers that the 6500 has fm
  • G4YDO
    G4YDO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    yes i can confirm this.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It also apparently includes RTTY.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As Tim said they do not over see all the documents produced world wide. He said he was going to check into this.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The parallels of this video and the Flex Radio Community are astounding:  
    • Rock Monster = Flex Radio Systems (Gerald ?)
    • Boulder = Insufficiently tested SmartSDR 1.4
    • Village Church Tower = Projected SSDR 1.4 Release Date
    • Ungrateful Villagers:  Flex Whiners
    Can you figure out the moral to the story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVw48qr4vY

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It is also on the Flex site by implication as they list output power for FM. Why list a mode output power if the mode is not available? Note the other specs for FM too!image
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited December 2019
    so does this mean I can get a refund of my purchase as it has been mis-sold
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Yes..... No good deed goes unpunished. Or..... You can always identify the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    IANAL, but citizen's advice would be best placed to help.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    I will give it until the end of the month see whats what then,then I will ring the supplier and see what they say,had it up to the back teeth with promises.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

• SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2015
    What you say now, Burt?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.